General discussion

32- vs. 64-bit confusion

Hello,

My 2006 Mac Pro (Snow Leopard, 10.6.4) seems 'schizophrenic' about whether it is in 32- or 64-bit mode, and I think this may be the reason I'm experiencing a software disaster (below). According to the Mac website 64-bit is only supported starting in 2008. Under About This Mac -> Software, the entry for 64-bit kernel and extensions is 'no'. Similarly the output of

$ ioreg -l -p IODeviceTree | grep firmware-abi

is

| | "firmware-abi" = <"EFI32">

However, next to nearly every process in the Activity Monitor is 'Intel (64-bit)'. And when I installed Qt 4.7, it automatically installed the 64-bit version. It required that any library I linked to with my software (compiled under Qt) be a 64-bit build. I tried at one point to boot into 64-bit mode (not knowing that my platform wasn't among those supported for it) by holding down the 6 and 4 keys, following the advice here:

http://macperformanceguide.com/SnowLeopard-64bit.html

Anyway, installing Qt 4.7 (over 4.6) and doing this startup are the only things I have done to the machine, and now a program I wrote in Qt has stopped working. It has two processes and the main process can no longer communicate with the child process it launches (it doesn't receive standard output anymore). My guess is that this has to do with 32 vs. 64 bit sockets but I don't really know. Reinstalling 4.6 didn't help. Please please help, this program is supposed to run tomorrow!

Best,
Matt

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: 32- vs. 64-bit confusion
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: 32- vs. 64-bit confusion
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
64bit

While I can't help you with Qt issues....

The kernel up until recently defaults to running in 32-bit mode, but 64-bit applications can still be used and run. This is why you have a 'no' for 64-bit kernel and extensions yet have 'intel (64-bit)' listed next to your applications.

- Collapse -
64bit

Hi Kevin,

Thanks. So there's nothing inherently amiss with the OS. That helps me zero in on what the real problem is.

Best,
Matt

- Collapse -
Your best bet

Your best bet here is to subscribe to the Qt mailing list and submit your question there.

Most people who write Mac OS X apps do so using the native Cocoa API, not a third party lib like Qt.

- Collapse -
Re

>Your best bet here is to subscribe to the Qt mailing list and submit your question there.

I have. No response yet.

CNET Forums

Forum Info