TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

32'' LCD TV Recommendation-Sharp vs Sony-New 2006 Models

by sunpro21 / April 8, 2006 6:29 AM PDT

I am looking at purchasing a 32'' LCD TV and have narrowed it down to 2 models.

Option 1- Sony 32'' BRAVIA LCD Flat Panel Monitor-It's the new model.(KLV-32U100M)
This is a HD Monitor(No built in tuner. I can get it at J&R.com for $1,399 plus shipping of $59.31 for total of $1,459.30

Option 2-New Sharp AQUOS LCD HDTV with built in
HD tuner.(LC-32D40U-Just came out in March, 2006).
Price at Circuit City is $1,599 plus tax which
comes to $1,695.

Does anyone have either of these TV's and can talk about picture quality?

Also, why would I pay an extra $235 for the Sharp with HD tuner? I see no value in it since Comcast will require me to upgrade to their box for hdtv anyway.

Please advise.
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 32'' LCD TV Recommendation-Sharp vs Sony-New 2006 Models
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 32'' LCD TV Recommendation-Sharp vs Sony-New 2006 Models
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
can i recommend neither?
by masterying01 / April 8, 2006 4:58 PM PDT

i am currently in love with the new samsung 32inch lcd. it looks sharp, built in tuner, and...............TWO HDMI INPUTS. i dont remember the specific model number, but there shouldnt be that many samsung lcd's out there right now with 2 hdmi inputs.

Collapse -
sorry to disapoint...
by dragonfly1601 / June 13, 2006 8:55 AM PDT

But the Sharp lc-32D40U has "TWO HDMI INPUTS", so if you're recommending the Sammy just for that then you should've chosen the Sharp

Collapse -
GO WITH THE...........
by Riverledge / April 9, 2006 11:42 AM PDT

SONY or SAMSUNG. Never really watched a SHARP AQUOS I liked. Stylish but not picture.

river.

Collapse -
Sharp is more accurate picture
by gabereyes / April 9, 2006 2:06 PM PDT

Sharp does have more accurate colors, gray scale, and brightnees then the sony or the samsung.
but ive never heard or seen that sony model, what i have seen is the sony 32a10 and the sony 32s2000, the only sony Ive seen better than the sharp is the 32xbr1.
As for tuners any TV 27 inchs or more made this year most have a ATSC aka HD tuner built in.

Also if you go to a store to compare all three keep this in mind sony and samsung will push the color red pretty hard, so at first sight they will look better, but keep watching and you will notice the sharp's colors will look more accurate and really life like.
sorry samsung guy.

Collapse -
haha, no biggie
by masterying01 / April 9, 2006 5:52 PM PDT

i just can't recoommend the sharp right now just because we've had so many complaints/returns on sharp lcd's just because non-hd looked sooooooooooooooooooooo bad. but if you're ONLY going to watch hd, the sharp is great.

Collapse -
Sony, Sharp and Samsung use same display?
by Dan Filice / April 10, 2006 4:50 AM PDT
In reply to: haha, no biggie

I thought I read somewhere that these three manufactures use the same LCD display. I bought a smaller veriosn of the Sony three months ago (after weeks of side-by-side comparisons with the Sharp and Samsung) and I really like the Sony. I can't say anything negative about the other two sets though. I think all three have crummy SD image quality. Watching SD on any flat-panel TV is a compromise. People who buy a flat-panel TV and expect wonderful SD reception are in for a rude awakening. As far as color, contast, etc comparisons in the stores, that's a bit of a crap shoot becasue so many people mis-adjust all of the sets. I made my decision based on edge details that I saw on the three sets. Watch the edges on text in particular as it falls back or moves around. To me, the Sony kept the sharpest edges. Some individual features are different between the sets, and you should compare these (stretch modes, picture brightness modes, remote features, input selection modes, etc.). Also, check the volume and clarity of the speakers. I found the Sony had decent speakers. Also, with digital cable service which has music channels (like satellite), the Sony has an option where you can turn off the TV image but keep the audio. Very handy. Not sure if the other sets have this, but this is one of those things that you discover after using a TV for period of time.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.