Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

30 inch monitor worth it?

I'm going to be buying a new system and I'm considering a 30-inch HD monitor (either the Dell or Apple). I'm not a big time gamer, but I'd like to play GTR2 and FightSimulator if the graphics and display made it worthwhile. My question is, are the games supporting 30 inch widescreens or will I just see a "stretched" version of a 4X3 screen? Also, will my Windows Office screens be stretched as well? Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 30 inch monitor worth it?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 30 inch monitor worth it?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Here is my opinion of over sized monitors.

In reply to: 30 inch monitor worth it?

If you read articles about choosing the right TV, they recommend measuring the size of the room first. You cannot see the entire screen if you sit too close. The extra money spent is wasted as someone constantly turns his or her head to see the entire screen. I chose a small 27" TV rather then the 32" TV because of this problem. I think monitors have the same flaw. I use my computer mostly for typing and sometimes find my 19? monitor too large. Before you buy a monitor, experiment with ones at Best Buy, Circuit City or other electronic stores. Test each monitor by viewing it at the distance it will be used. If you cannot clearly view the monitor at that distance, why spend the extra money? Sorry, if this discussion was a little off topic, but I do not understand spending double the money to buy a monitor in which only half can be seen.

Collapse -
Good info, but more questions....

In reply to: Here is my opinion of over sized monitors.

I've read a number of articles that claim that the newer XHD monitors (those that resolve to 2560 X 1900) don't have this "too close to the screen" problem because of the very high pixel density. It has been described as wonderful - the viewer merely has to move his head around the screen to see all the picture, not move away from it. Obviously the bigger, higher resolving screen would be useful for games, especially driving/flying simulations, but the other added factor would be the ability to view 2 Windows on the screen next to each other (for example an Excel spreadsheet next to a Word page). I guess I'm just the type of person who hates to buy something not cutting edge, then regret it later. Like not buying a 8800GTX cpu now - you'd be out of your mind not to. I'd like to hear from some folks who have one of these 30 XHD monitors.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.