Windows Vista forum

General discussion

3 Vista problems

by iltcm! / June 15, 2009 9:35 PM PDT

I'm currently facing three chronic Vista problems, so I decided to combine them into one thread.

1. System Restore gives me an incorrect parameter error when I launch it, when I click OK (the only option, it quits). I don't know the exact error message.

2. Windows update gives me error 8007002 when I go and check for updates; all my update history has also been wiped. (The check runs for a while, then stops and gives me 8007002.

3. My internet stops working after resuming from sleep.

Vista Ultimate 32-bit SP2

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 3 Vista problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 3 Vista problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Two initial suggestions....
by John.Wilkinson / June 16, 2009 12:27 AM PDT
In reply to: 3 Vista problems

1.) Click here and follow the instructions to address a faulty extraction.
2.) Press Windows + R, type cmd into the Run box, and enter the command sfc /scannow (with the space) at the command line. The scan will take a while and will correct any system file corruption issues it can.

Also, make sure you write down the *exact* System Restore error message next time.

Let us know how it goes.
John

Collapse -
Item 1
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2009 1:35 AM PDT
In reply to: 3 Vista problems

Item 1 has recurring failures when Norton and other AV software "protection" is enabled. You didn't reveal which you use so I'll note Norton at http://www.vistax64.com/vista-general/204651-system-restore-norton-internet-security.html

"If you have Norton Internet Security 2009 installed, then before you attempt to use System Restore, you need to disable the feature in NIS that protects it from attack by malware. If you do not disable the feature, then S/R will probably not work."

AGAIN! Since this protection is in many products, you find the instruction for yours.

Item 3. Caused by a lot of things. One of them is drivers which you MUST be reporting this failure to your machine's maker everytime it fails. Imagine that your machine ends up out of warranty and busted. Since you never reported this and other failures you won't have a leg to stand on.
Bob

Collapse -
Update
by iltcm! / June 16, 2009 6:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Item 1

I had very little time before, so here are some more details

All of these issues developed with the install of SP2. I already contacted MS to fix an Aero problem, and they attempted to fix the Update issue with no success.

When I do a scannow command, I get told that I have a restart pending; when I restart the system I still get the same message. I've already tried all the solutions on the following page:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/thread/4e3b57a1-7e37-4f8d-880f-24269d10f426

I do not have Norton; I use AVG Internet Security (v8.5 or something like that), and Online Armor Firewall from Tall Emu. I have not had any problems with them as far as I know.

My system is an Intel iMac 2.66 GHz, April 2008 model. I'm running Vista SP2 Ultimate 32-bit off of Boot Camp, Boot ROM version IM81.00C1.B00

Obviously, contacting Apple wouldn't be much help.

Collapse -
Quick points...
by John.Wilkinson / June 16, 2009 7:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Update

1.) It is hard to say much without the error message, but it is possible that BootCamp is involved.

2.) Update issues are best resolved by Microsoft support, with representatives having you generate a CheckSur log, among other things, for analysis.

3.) Online Armor can cause that sleep issue; I just uninstalled it from a machine last week to remedy such (and more problematic) power state issues.

John

Collapse -
Sleep Issue
by iltcm! / June 16, 2009 9:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Quick points...

I've had the sleep issue since before Online Armor. I've had it when I had XP under Bootcamp on the same system. In XP Pro SP3, it would often freeze on sleeping after running a certain game, but I only had one or two short-term wireless errors. I do plan on contacting MS, though. Hopefully this time it won't take them 3 hours to change a single registry entry. Happy

Collapse -
Which is where
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2009 8:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Update

I uninstall the firewall, antivirus and turn off UAC and try the updates one last time before I start over.

It sounds terrible but this is Windows.
Bob

Collapse -
Uninstall
by iltcm! / June 16, 2009 9:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Which is where

I got Online Armor off of Giveawayoftheday, so I wouldn't be able to restore it. I got AVG from a friend who's since moved away, so I can longer longer reinstall it either. I already have UAC turned off.

Collapse -
AVG has a free version.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 17, 2009 1:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Uninstall

So there is little reason to worry about that. I can also share that Avast (free) is fine here on XP and Vista.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.