TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

3 receivers.....which to choose?

by jay412 / March 29, 2008 5:08 AM PDT

I'm trying to decide between 3 receivers....My surround sound setup is 5.1 mirage nanosat speaker system and I'll have cable with HDTV mostly using the surround sound for movies and television, but occassionally listening to music. I mainly want a new receiver that will be able to input my component video to HDMI and input HDMI and output HDMI. I've narrowed it down to 3 choices and would like input on those or other choices that I might not have considered...

1. Onkyo tx-sr605--highly rated on this site, cheaper at about 370 or less

2. Yamaha rx-v663--not rated yet, have an older yamaha and loved it over my even older sony receiver

3. sony strdg910--mainly b/c it has all the hdmi upconverting I wanted but am not sure I'm as impressed with sony's receivers....

thanks for all your thoughts in advance...
jay412

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 3 receivers.....which to choose?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 3 receivers.....which to choose?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
um
by jostenmeat / March 29, 2008 5:20 AM PDT

do you really need to convert component to HDMI? You don't have any component inputs on the TV?

First of all, at this budget, you aren't going to achieve any great level of video improvement with a receiver. Then, nothing beats direct connections. And with direct connections, you can calibrate every input individually.

Anyways, I don't know how well the Sony or Yamaha will cleanly convert to HDMI. I know I wouldn't care to use it though. And it seems funny to me that this is the most important aspect you are looking for in a 7.1 receiver.

I think the Onkyo doesn't do a very great job, IIRC, at conversion.

The one thing people enjoy about the Yammy over the Onkyo is the pre-outs so that you can add an outboard amp. For some, this is the most important feature.

The Sony cannot handle TrueHD or DTS-MA bitstreams. If your BD player is a PS3, then you are fine as that player will never be able to bitstream anyhow. The Sony will handle PCM over HDMI.

My vote is the Yamaha.

Collapse -
well.....
by jay412 / March 29, 2008 7:34 AM PDT
In reply to: um

the reason I need to convert from component to HDMI is because I have a prewiring to my tv over the fireplace and I only have 1 HDMI input prewired, so I need a converter and/or switcher. I figured a receiver would be a better option, but maybe just buying an HDMI switcher would be preferable and use my old yamaha receiver which still sends quality audio for what I need. Are there converters that have component to HDMI?? I do not have a blu-ray player yet, but may invest in the ps3 sometime in the future, but for now will use a dvd player with component out....I want quality audio but I am not a huge audiophile, so I dont' think I would notice a difference between a 1000 dollar receiver and a 400 dollar receiver.....thanks for the advice

Collapse -
I haven't seen one.
by jostenmeat / March 29, 2008 8:34 AM PDT
In reply to: well.....

IIRC, I think a couple of people were mentioning the Monoprice switcher. (I know, no component). Even if I am a fan of Monoprice cables, I have seen disappointed folks with that switcher. A brand that a pro friend of mine likes a lot are the gefen line. Some of them include a 4-pack of free hdmi cables.

But, they're not exactly cheap either. About half the cost of a receiver, so I guess a new receiver is the smart way to go. Then again, it still is another $200 or so.

Hm, putting thinking cap on. *hamster in my brain is starting to get warmed up*

I feel like the best place to spend first is a new player. The PS3 is a very good choice. Quality upscaling of dvd's too. There aren't any dvd players that can upscale past 480p with component connections, outside of a hacked Oppo 970 or 971 AFAIK.

Run that direct for now. Just use optical for lossy audio since you're not a big audiophile anyways. Possible? I guess only if you don't have yet other HDMI sources, which would make some sort of switcher a necessity.

I guess the PS3 + Yammy is $800. Not chump change. GL.

Collapse -
AVR as your switch
by dinox64 / March 29, 2008 10:18 AM PDT
In reply to: I haven't seen one.

Eliminates another piece of equipment in the cabinet. And the cost can be moved over to the AVR purchase. That's what I did because mine too is over the fireplace and cabling is in the wall.

Collapse -
IN YOUR CASE, FOR YOUR NEEDS I'D GO FOR THE YAMAHA,.......
by Riverledge / March 29, 2008 10:42 AM PDT

I'M ALSO A FAN OF BOTH "SONY ES" and ONKYO. THE YAMAHA has everything you need.

Best wishes,

River.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.