Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

3 office pc's now no longer connect to the network - help!!!

Hi,
I work in an office with 12 PC's and try and take care of the network system by myself but am having problems since i came back from christmas. I think the grinch has been having some fun! We have an ADSL connection which passes through a Linksys ADSL gateway (BEFDSR41W) and would then go onto a Linksys Firewall (BEFSX41) but I have been trying to sort out this problem without the firewall so as to simplify the connection. But anyway from the Gateway or Firewall the connection then goes to 2 Sitecom 8 port Network Switches. This then goes through the cable box to the PC's, but for some reasons 3 of the PC's will no longer access the network. I have plugged the cabling that would go into the back of the PC's into a laptop and this has worked fine but for some reason they do not seem to respond. I can ping the PC's from other computers on the network and can ping the ADSL gateway and printer which is on the server from these errant comps but they just don't seem to want to access the internet or the file server. Has anyone got any suggestions on how I can try and sort this problem out or have any ideas whatsoever as I've got nothing left?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 3 office pc's now no longer connect to the network - help!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 3 office pc's now no longer connect to the network - help!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Did you reload the OS?

In reply to: 3 office pc's now no longer connect to the network - help!!!

Collapse -
similar prob to me two days ago..:-)

In reply to: Did you reload the OS?

do have other services running on your network? say.. dns? active directory or something?

Collapse -
i think dns is the answer

In reply to: similar prob to me two days ago..:-)

we do have dns yes but I'm not the person who set-up the network and i think my skills are a little bit lacking. I have changed the settings on two of the computers so that they obtain DNS automatically and this has allowed them to access the internet. However, nobody is yet able to access the file server. Can anyone advise me on how to set the network up with dns so that it works correctly? I have no formal networking training I just seem to have fallen into the trap of looking after my work's network!

Collapse -
Add the fileserver to the machines HOSTS file.

In reply to: i think dns is the answer

Collapse -
Network Trouble

In reply to: i think dns is the answer

Are you running a Windows Server environment? Do you know if you are running Active Directory? Are you on a domain? Can you ping your file server? If you are now able to connect to the internet, but not your file server, it could be a permissions issue. This could result if your PC's lost their credentials in Active Directory, or were disconnected from the domain. It is hard to speculate with the limited information you have provided about your setup. Have you tried doing an ipconfig /all on a working machine and comparing all the information to be sure it is the same (minus the IP address which has to be different)? This could give you a clue if something appears different. And if you can ping your server, then I think you need to consider a problem higher up, such as what I described above.

Collapse -
a few questions if you don't mind

In reply to: Network Trouble

thanks all for your help, i think i'm slowly learning a bit about networks here. I was wrong about being able to ping the server as I said before. It's possible to ping the default gateway but not actually the server's machine. The file server doesn't seem to be able to connect to the Internet even if direct from the ADSL gateway. Is there a reason for this? I have done IPconfig on a few machines and they all have the correct data, and the hosts file on all PC's is setup with he same IP address and localhost. Is this correct? Could I also ask a quite basic question regarding the network setup though. Should the file server be accessible if the connection simply comes from the ADSL gateway and then passes to the network switch, with all PC's and file server simply connected to the switch? Or does the ADSL gateway have to go to a Router and then connect to the switch, with the file server possibly coming off the router?

Collapse -
Network

In reply to: a few questions if you don't mind

I am still a little fuzzy as to what exactly your setup is, but it is first thing in the morning, so it might just be me.

The "normal" topology for a network would be: your internet line coming in to the building, in your case ADSL, this will then run to your modem/gateway, then this would connect to your firewall or router. Behind all of this would then be your PCs and servers, and they would be running off the same switches. And of course you want to make sure your switches are hooked together so they can talk back and forth.

Again, I can only talk in generalities because I don't know exactly what your setup is, or what you are trying to accomplish. All of your machines/servers should be able to talk to each other on just the switches. Assuming you have your network setup properly. I think I would leave the ADSL out of it for a minute, and just make sure your network is all working. Then I would worry about the internet connection. This would most likely be handled between your server and the router. In general though, all of your machines and your server need to be behind the firewall. That is kind of the idea of the firewall; to isolate your systems from the big bad internet.

If you are not using a server as a central point to your internet, then you need to make sure that all of your machines are pointing to the router properly. Which I will assume they are, since they can ping the gateway. So if you can't see your server, I would make sure it is behind your firewall, and connected to the switches same as your PCs. I would then try your ipconfig again on your PCs and your server, and make sure the information is correct. Make sure they are on the same network (the everything should be exactly the same, except the last number in the IP address itself).

I'm not sure I have really answered your questions, but hopefully it will give you a place to start.

P.S. I am not surprised your server cannot connect to the internet directly from the ADSL because it was probably setup to talk to the router, and not the ADSL directly. And if it not behind the firewall your PC's will not be able to talk to it.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.