Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

3 items only for ME lockup

I removed each card and checked computer each time untill all my cards were removed including video. Borrowed video from friend and that was all that's on machine except CPU 2400xp,full verision ME, 512 ddr (crucial) and ECS K7s5a pro motherboard. System still locked up about 45 minutes after playing AOM. Now as far as I can understand it has to be 1. motherboard 2. ME or 3. CPU. When I asked my computer guy he said it can't be any of the 3, but that's all that was on system except for ati 9000 64 video. There got to be an answer and I feel my computer guy is wrong, so anyone have any ideas or how to check above items. Thanks mech

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 3 items only for ME lockup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 3 items only for ME lockup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You know what

In reply to: 3 items only for ME lockup

Your computer sucks. Probably why its freezing is your graphics card can't handle the game, too graphic intensive. Your processor can't keep up. WIndows ME is the most unstable operating system ever released by Mircrosoft, and 512MB ddr i assume is only running at what PC100 or PC133. And as for your motherboard, no problems on your motherboard can cause that. My advice, get a better graphics card, and and also get rid of spyware, etc. Run disk cleanup and other windows utilities and your system might stop crashing on your game.
ROger

Collapse -
ME lockup

In reply to: You know what

As far as my computer sucks that's a matter of opion some of us may not have money,money to buy high end machines. As far as ME you may not like it , but it has been the most stable of the dos based O/S made for me. Your right i'm running 133 on a AMD 2 gig xp cpu and 512 ddr. MY spyware programs (3)are run before and after being on net each time. Utitilies are on schedule windows recommends. I don't understand if the graphic card is to graphic intensive what you mean and how that would that effect my games. AS for my card only the 9800 which is only about 5% faster, I would have to go to the high end cards which are not designed for dos based rpg games.

Collapse -
The other items.

In reply to: 3 items only for ME lockup

If only these machines were:
a - that simple.
b - failing just due to said parts.

Other areas of interest are:
a - Power supply.
b - Cooling.
c - No spyware, virus, trojan or P2P software allowed.

Many machines will work for awhile with say 300 to 350 Watt supplies but the treachery of this is the PSU degrades in that first year and then you end up with lockups and reboots. The same issue with cooling. When new the heatsinks, fans and such all work great. No one tells you (save me?) about the need to dust it out once a year or to make a trial run with the case cover off.

Bob

Collapse -
ME lockup

In reply to: The other items.

You brought up something I have overlooked. The power supply a 350 watt (3-4 yrs old) could that be causing problems. Cooling is fine , have 3 fans and temp on computer shows good. Spyware spybot S&D & ad-aware se personal which are run before and after being on net. The power supply is made by powerup which I will check on line for this company. I blow out unit every 6 months with my neighbor's compressor and also tried it without cover. I think you hit on a good point to check the power supply unit. Question is 350 even if new to weak when playing online for hours. Thanks mech

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!