Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

3-6 updates from MS for Win XP Pro EVERY DAY?

I just bought a built to suit computer running Win XP Pro. Every evening when I shut it down, I am told to wait while it installs updates. There are at least 3 and sometimes 6 updates. This has happened every day for the past 3 weeks. Is this normal or is there something wrong that I need to address?

Thanks, Bobbie

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 3-6 updates from MS for Win XP Pro EVERY DAY?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 3-6 updates from MS for Win XP Pro EVERY DAY?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Version

In reply to: 3-6 updates from MS for Win XP Pro EVERY DAY?

Your version of XP may not have come with any service packs. Tell more about it.

Collapse -

In reply to: Version

The tech who built my computer installed from a master disk. My System Properties tell me:
Microsoft Windows XP
Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU
E4600 @2.40Gz
2.39GHz, 3.25 GB of RAM
Physical Address Extension

I have a partitioned 500 g hard drive partitioned into a C with 80 G and a D with 420 G.

What else do you need?

Bobbie

Collapse -
What I would try.

In reply to: 3-6 updates from MS for Win XP Pro EVERY DAY?

You don't have to install those updates at closedown. It has been happening to me lately where I can see the update icon in the System Tray, (where the clock is), then it disappears and doesn't tell me there are updates waiting to be installed.

The updates then appear on the closedown screen. I refuse to update from there generally as I prefer to see what I am installing, and de-select any I choose not to install. On that closedown screen there is a link below the normal icons where you can click to closedown normally. What I find is that, after a couple of days or so, my update icon returns and tells me updates are available. I can then see what updates I am installing.

On your machine you have SP3 and that is the latest Service Pack. You can try my method, and I would also visit the Windows Update site using the link in your Start menu > All programs, near the top. Let the site scan and validate your system, and see what updates it says are available. If your system is is reasonably up to date there should not be many system or critical updates listed.

Waiting for the update icon to reappear allows you to make a note of what updates are being offered. If you have Windows Defender installed, (Microsoft's anti-spyware), you may well be getting regular updates. I seem to be getting them every 2 days or so. But the others you can list, and then compare that with the list of updates shown on the web site. If any updates seem to continuously appear to be downloaded and offered, you could try installing from the web site, and see what happens afterwards.

I hope that helps.

Mark

Collapse -

In reply to: What I would try.

Thanks, Mark, I will give that a try. I appreciate the help. Bobbie

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.