Samsung forum

Rant

3,5 years lifetime for a Samsung TV?

Hi,
Had my LE40a656A1FXXU for about 3,5 years and today the TV will not start.
The red light is blinking and it makes a noise, like a fan is starting and then stops, repeatedly.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 3,5 years lifetime for a Samsung TV?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 3,5 years lifetime for a Samsung TV?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I find TV repair to be expensive

In reply to: 3,5 years lifetime for a Samsung TV?

Even when I do it myself. I usually have to get the service manual (try www.samsungparts.com) and then borrow an oscilloscope or other test gear from the office. Some folk have no electronics test or repair background so those folk are often upset when they get the manuals and find nothing there for the average joe.
Bob

Collapse -
Parts will be outrageously high to

In reply to: I find TV repair to be expensive

If and when a part is needed for the repair, the buyer will be forced to pay a 300% to 400% markup or even worst. I have seen parts that cost an authorized shop $20, sell for $100 or more to an independent shop or consumer.

Collapse -
Even at such inflated costs.

In reply to: Parts will be outrageously high to

I've found that when I can change out the parts myself the total repair bill can be less but then there is no warranty.

Say, it's the same deal with car parts at the dealer?

Collapse -
Who needs warranty

In reply to: Even at such inflated costs.

If you know what your doing. One of the test I use to use to determine if someone should be in the biz was to ask them to disassemble a unit and then reassemble it. I use to find it amazing how many who could not do just that without adding problems. The second test was to ask them to desolder and remove a component then put it back in and solder it. That alone seem to challenge even those who claimed to have experience with soldering. If they pass those two test I would then test their knowledge of electronics.

Do not bring cars in this. I got my start in a full service gas station at the age of 15. I can not count how many times I have come close to doing great harm to myself and others just trying to get a bolt lose. LMOMBO To this day, people who know me run screaming when I put a car up on jacks and reach for the power tools. Think Tim the Toolman Tailor.

Collapse -
Yes, I'm bringing cars into this.

In reply to: Who needs warranty

Just stop me.

While I do solder my gear can't help me as I find a BGA on board.

Collapse -
The problem today is the specialty tools needed

In reply to: Yes, I'm bringing cars into this.

I can remember way back when just a simple soldering iron and pump, a few tools and a good meter, you where good to go. Today's electronic boards require so many specialty tools I am afraid that most of the noobs entering the trade are being reduced to just board changers. Surface mount soldering requires so much to get it right that its out of most of our hands if not our ability. The only plus to that is that if you have the right connections the cost of boards will not break you. I guess it is true, as one door closes another opens. If they cured the bad caps, cold solder joints, poorly designed power supplies and lightning strikes, there would be no need for the general tech. lol Well, at least we still have puters and the crazy things folks do to them. It keeps the mind active and still gives us good story to tell some day when we retire to the rocking chair on the front porch.

Collapse -
the story continues...

In reply to: Even at such inflated costs.

I reported the problem to Samsung and they just sent me to the repairs department. I am supposed to send in the TV and there is no info at all about pricing or anything else.

Collapse -
No joke.

In reply to: the story continues...

Here the minimum counter charge is about 120 bucks.

However that's another topic. There was a bad caps plague that hit almost all the makers (millions of PCs, TVs and more) and Samsung has made offers on many units. On the smaller TVs we don't get a free call to the home and have to ship it in.

Call back in to get the details. If that's not good enough or they don't answer, try the TRANSACTION NUMBER and your story at the next link:
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-542437/service-issues-click-here-for-help/?tag=contentBody;threadListing

It's rather nice to see coverage for something this far out of warranty.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks

In reply to: No joke.

It would be very nice to see coverage for outside the warranty time. Somehow I doubt it though...
I will check the support out and see what the say though.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.