Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

3-5 Min Hang?

by Menx / July 19, 2004 8:07 AM PDT

So my XP was running fine. Brand new box, ran great for a week.

Then, all of a sudden, after the Windows Xp Splash logo, the screen goes blank (monitor still on), and the led's show no sign of HDD activity what so ever. Blank for 3-5minutes before loading up the blue login screen. After which, system runs perfectly fine.

Anyone have any idea what's wrong?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 3-5 Min Hang?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 3-5 Min Hang?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: 3-5 Min Hang? Look in the Event Viewer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 19, 2004 8:10 AM PDT
In reply to: 3-5 Min Hang?

When I see this, I clear all events in the Event Viewer (Hint: Start, Help and Support tells you what and where this tool is), then reboot to cause the Event to be logged.

Armed with the EventID and Source, I usually can find the issue with www.eventid.net

BUT a new machine may be infected very soon with the new WORMS. What have you done to protect the new machine?

Bob

Collapse -
by Menx / July 19, 2004 11:00 PM PDT

I will do this soon as I get home.

I installed norton and updated right away, so I think it is unlikely to be a worm.

Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / July 19, 2004 11:11 PM PDT

Receive an education concerning the use of "Norton" at this link.

Collapse -
by Menx / July 21, 2004 12:04 PM PDT

Reformated.

Installed sound drivers.

now it's hanging again.

Checking Event viewer, i get these 2 errors

Event ID: 51
Source: Disk

Event ID: 57
Source: Ftdisk

During the sound driver install, got this error logged

Event ID: 50
Source: NTFS

Collapse -
And then did you Google this?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 21, 2004 9:33 PM PDT

My results (with the one that I felt most likely applies.)

1. EventID 51

http://www.eventid.net/displayqueue.asp?eventid=51

Points to a failing hard disk or an incorrect IDE cable or jumpers on hard disk. Very common problem in home built machines. HINT!!! Your post neglected the FORUM TIP about telling the forum about your machine. Why?

2. EventID 57

"Event ID: 4
Event Source: ftdisk
Event Type: Error
Event Description: An error occurred while attempting to recover data from the fault tolerance set containing \Device\Harddisk0\Ft3.
Comment: First time I''ve seen this one, still researching it. Looks like it may have something to do with RAID. "
- eventid.net

Points to a hard disk/cable issue in my view since you have an Event 51.

3. EventID 50

Vague writings here. But all note data being lost in writing to LAN or disks.

Too bad you didn't tell gory details about your machine, the hard disks, the IDE cable types used, make/model/age of the hard disks, the power supply Wattage, an inventory of the machine, who built it, how old is it, does the motherboard capacitors BULGE and by now you get the idea that to nail this one down, it's likely to be in some undisclosed detail.

Or my guess for today: Failing hard disk, incorrect jumper and/or incorrect/damaged IDE cable.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: And then did you Google this?
by Menx / July 22, 2004 8:45 AM PDT

Well, it is a new machine. WAS on a 160 gb Maxtor. Now I've set that on slave and threw in a 80gb WD as the master (but too bad the WD is only a 2mb cache)

I'm pretty sure the problem is originating from the sound card/drivers. it only hangs after I install them. RMA'ing the sound card. Drivers have been reported to be excellent, so I'm guessing it's faulty hardware.

IDE cables: used what came with the drives. mobo capacitators are not bulging, ps = 450 watts, the maxtor drive was new, 1gb dual channel DDRAM cosairs, 2.8C ghz, epox mobo (bound to get flak for that, but i've not read any poor reviews on the board).

Collapse -
A clue. "Master."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 22, 2004 10:25 AM PDT

Current technology drives are not set to master and slave, but CABLE SELECT and fitted to 80 Conductor IDE Cables. I think you may have revealed a clue here that someone didn't setup the machine proper.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: And then did you Google this?
by Cursorcowboy / July 22, 2004 10:46 PM PDT
Well, it is a new machine. WAS on a 160 gb Maxtor. Now I've set that on slave and threw in a 80gb WD as the master (but too bad the WD is only a 2mb cache)

1. IMO, disconnect the Maxtor in the meantime and see how things progress with only the Western Digital.

2. The article [Q303013] describes the Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) 48-bit Logical Block Addressing (LBA) support for ATA Packet Interface (ATAPI) disk drives that can enable the capacity of your hard disk to exceed the current 137 gigabyte (GB) limit.

Note: "Q331958" explains that if your computer has an ATA Packet Interface (ATAPI) hard disk that is larger than 137 gigabytes (GB), 1) your computer may restart instead of resuming from hibernation, 2) you may experience hard disk corruption when your computer enters either standby or hibernation, and 3) you may experience hard disk corruption when Windows XP writes a memory dump file as a result of an unrecoverable Windows error (or Stop error) unless the system is subsequently patched.
Collapse -
by R1000 / July 22, 2004 7:06 PM PDT

I had same problem! McAfee and a virus checker installed with Fixit 5 was fighting! Took out Fixit 5 and all is well! Reinstalled just the Fixit 5 without the virus program. It seems like you can't have 2 virus checkers as they don't get along, one wants to fight the other!

Collapse -
by Menx / July 22, 2004 10:49 PM PDT

the hdd size isnt a problem. SP1 fixes that.

until the RMA sound card goes through, comp is working A-OK

Collapse -
So you KNOW the answer?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 22, 2004 11:04 PM PDT

Why continue? Remove your bad hardware and stop risking having to reinstall the OS and all your files.

The events listed all point to trouble.

You want this trouble?

Bob

Collapse -
Just so you know, Norton wasn't enough for "worms".
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 19, 2004 11:28 PM PDT

The worms bypass Norton's protection and install anyway.

There are some that receive a rather quick education that today we need to protect this OS on many fronts and backdoors. In short, worms used another means to get onto the machine and can silently disabel the AV.

If this was my machine, I'd get that EventID and source information PLUS run scans for Spyware and pests with the following FREE tools. No money will change hands so if you don't I will wonder why.

The tools are noted with links at items a, b, c, and d at http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6618-0.html?forumID=6&threadID=29093&messageID=330476&tag=

To handle the internet worms, one had to also install a firewall BEFORE connecting to the internet. Microsoft has taken a public hit on this issue and will in Service Pack 2 turn on the XP Firewall by default.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: 3-5 Min Hang?
by mmeasor1 / July 23, 2004 12:43 AM PDT
In reply to: 3-5 Min Hang?

i have a similar problem on an XP computer with a Soyo motherboard. it works fine without the prnter, but if you plug in the printer your lucky if it gets past the splash screen. try unplugging usb devices on by one to see if thats your problem, if so you may need to flash your bios.

Collapse -
For mmeasor1
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 23, 2004 1:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: 3-5 Min Hang?

Your issue is well known. Let's try the typical issue first.

Did you download and install the latest MOTHERBOARD and USB drivers from SOYO?

If not, it indeed may hang on boot.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: For mmeasor1
by Themisive / July 23, 2004 1:11 AM PDT
In reply to: For mmeasor1

I've had this problem a lot, apparantly it's something to do with the hard drives, I've heard that Western digital and Maxtor don't seem to be compatible, and also, some hard drives are incompatible with certain types of motherboard.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!