The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

3/18/05 What program do you use to read your e-mail?

What program do you use to read your e-mail?

Eudora
ISP-specific reader (AOL, MSN, etc.)
Lotus Notes
Microsoft Outlook
Microsoft Outlook Express
Netscape Composer
Mozilla Thunderbird
Web site (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc.)
Other
I don't read stinkin' e-mails

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 3/18/05 What program do you use to read your e-mail?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 3/18/05 What program do you use to read your e-mail?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Microsoft Outlook Express

In reply to: 3/18/05 What program do you use to read your e-mail?

Hi.
I am running XP Home on my Desktop, and also on the Laptop. I use Outlook Express for my e-mails, but can you help me. I cannot get spell check to activate in outlook express, even though I have Word 2000 installed. Can spell check be activated in outlook express?
Cheers Peter Stacey.

Collapse -
Go to Tools

In reply to: Microsoft Outlook Express

I have ME. In ME, go to Tools>Option>spelling and check what you like.

Collapse -
Not a straightforward question...

First, I have to answer a question with a question - or, more accurately, questions. Are you asking about my home email, my work email, and do you mean at home or at work?

At work, I use what the client dictates for their email, typically Outlook. I have Outlook on my home office machine, but only use it for synchronizing contacts and calendars with my home and work computers, laptop, PDA, and cell phone (the latter two run Windows mobile).

At my home office, I use Mozilla Thunderbird. although as security solutions improve, I'm thinking about maybe moving to Outlook for convenience.

At home I have no guaranteed access to my clients' email. At work, trying to access my personal email is problematic... Since I have root privileges on my mail server, I'm loath to go through client-owned facilities where my password may be compromised. My preferred solution (using Pine in a ssh session) is also often blocked by the clients' company policy. I therefore am forced to use web access to my personal email. Fortunately, since I do own my own domain server, I set up Horde (Linux) so I can access it via an HTTPS web page from work or anywhere else.

This now gets back to last week's question... Since I do work both at the office and at home, I find it convenient to keep an email mirror on my home machine. Unfortunately, company network policy makes this difficult (MS Exchange server, policies against mass forwarding, and message size limits). My solution is a neat little $49 shareware product called MAPIlab HTML Email Archiver <http://www.mapilab.com/outlook/email_archiver/>. It copies all of my Outlook folders (including mail w/ attachments, contacts, and calendar) to an HTML mirror. Once done, you simply point your browser to the "index.htm" file and there's your whole Outlook system. I do this at work using a Freecom <http://www.freecom.com/> FHD-XS-series transportable hard drive which I use to carry other files around. This is another neat gadget which uses the same little Hitachi 1.8" HDDs as iPods. It's tiny, USB-powered, and much more practical (20, 40, or 60 GB) than a flash memory stick.

Collapse -
outlook vs. outlook epress

The only reason why I use Out6look Express is that Comcast does not support Outlook, which I much prefer, and have used until about 6 monthsw ago, when it suddely did not work with Comcast any longer!

Collapse -
email programs

What about Pegasus Mail?

Collapse -
E-Mail use...

I use Incredimail and it is great... i have used Eudora in the past...

Collapse -
But can you access Incredimail away from your own laptop?

In reply to: E-Mail use...

I've been using the free version of Incredimail for a few months and I do like it. I have a problem when I unable to use my own laptop and I want to access my email. Does anyone know how to do this?

Collapse -
E-mail use

(Vote buttons don't work)
I use two e-mail "programs." Yahoo and Hotmail. With these two I can read, send, download, and forward from virtually any computer on earth. I use Yahoo for personal and Hotmail for business.
Outlook is clunky, not user friendly, and not secure.
The filters I have activated in Yahoo and Hotmail snag 99% of junk mail and I have yet to contract a bad bug virus. I've been using these systems for nearly three years. Why on earth use Outlook or the "express" version? Really, why? What am I missing here? The only thing I use Outlook for is scheduling. I like its ability to "bling" with a dialog box when it's time for a task.

Collapse -

I use Thunderbird and am very happy with it. I have used others such as Endura, Netscape, and OE. but Thunderbird is by far the best one for me.

Kerl Fife
kerlfife@planttel.net

Collapse -
The E-mail Application Use

I use INCREDIMAIL. I LOVE IT. IT PERMITS ME TO DRESS
UP MY E-MAIL. ONE OF THE FEATURES I ENJOY IS JUNK MAIL
FOLDER. ANY MAIL THAT IS NOT ON MY APPROVED E-MAIL
LIST,GOES DIRECTLY TO THE JUNK FILE. I FIND THAT IT
REALLY SEPARATES THE THE SPAM FROM MY INBOX

Collapse -
Incredimail

In reply to: The E-mail Application Use

I love it too. I am a tutor at SeniorNet and we have received a warning against using Incredimail due to (it says) the fact that when you send an e-mail with Incredimail, a web-bug is added which sends personal and aggregate information back to an Incredimail server. What are your thoughts on this? I do want to keep using it but if I am sending things to my friends then perhaps I should stop!

Collapse -
Access Incredimail when you can't access your laptop?

In reply to: The E-mail Application Use

I like Incredimail also. But I have a problem when I don't have my computer with me or when I have my computer with me but can't get onto the internet.

What do you do?

Collapse -
When I can't access Incredimail

In reply to: Access Incredimail when you can't access your laptop?

I love to receive and send email via Incredimail. I make all my own stationary using my photographs of horses and stuff, and make the stationery available free on byKAT.com. When away from my own PCs I just use web email until I get back to a PC on which Incredimail is installed. Then I forward any web mail messages I need to save to myself and open them with Incredimail, where they can be saved to folders.

Collapse -
When I can't access Incredimail

In reply to: When I can't access Incredimail

You wrote: "When away from my own PCs I just use web email until I get back to a PC on which Incredimail is installed.". But this doesn't help in receiving any email being sent to you on Incredimail while you are gone, correct? Is there a way to forward my email from Incredimail to web email while I am away (I'm on the free version of Incredimail).

ps - I like byKat.com

Collapse -
Outlook-Netscape sucks

I love Outlook 2003 with its many features, like:1. being able to read the mail on the right side and not, like Outlook Express, at the bottom; 2. having an integrated calendar with the possibility to set appoinments and getting 'advance notice', etc. I am unable to send links from Netscape through Netscape Composer and all attempts to contact technical support about it have failed ( as always!).
Peter
pfeuerst@tampabay.rr.com

Collapse -
Have you tried these two?

In reply to: Outlook-Netscape sucks

Have you tried Mozilla 1.7.5 (the browser and email package)or ThunderBird? I use them both and have no trouble adding links to my messages.

Collapse -
OfficePax Shared Calendar Shared Contacts Time Sheets Remote

In reply to: Outlook-Netscape sucks

I have been beta testing a program called officepax. It has all the features that Outlook has and a lot more. You should try it out, I think it's much better than the CR*P that Microsoft has out there. http://www.officepax.com

Collapse -
Thunderbird

I've been using Thunderbird now for about 2 months. I had been using Outlook Express. Personally, I prefer Thunderbird. I am really happy with the junk mail filter it provides.....it's caught about 99% of the garbage.

Collapse -
Claris eMailer - the BEST email client ever!

Too bad that Apple end-of-life'd this great email client back when Steve Jobs returned to the helm at apple. One of the key authors of this excellent email client went on to work for the MacBU at MSFT, and created Entourage for Mac (but it is still NOT the quality product that Claris eMailer still IS!

Collapse -
Best email client is no email client...

For years now I have been using a very small and simple mail header program that only checks email headers. This is the only FOOL proof way to never get infected with viral email attachments (including attachments you don't see or know about) I can view part or all of the email content or select to download or delete any emails @ the server level without having to download them first. I also use webmail too when I am away or traveling. I think having a dedicated email client is very risky these days. Everyone I know who uses a dedicated client has been (or will be) infected with some kind of virus sooner or later. Simplecheck has been great over the years.

Collapse -
What program do you use to read your e-mail?

I like Thunderbird better but do to having to use OutLook because it intergrates into other programs I use. If Thunderbird had plugins to do what I need such as connecting to my PDA and other software in the Office Suite I would use it for sure. :()

Collapse -
Out look Express 6 with Windows 98. S.E.

I had been using the above ,often,I get an error msg.
" An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'Hotmail', Server: 'http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp', Protocol: HTTPMail, Port: 0, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 12019, Error Number: 0x80004005"... further,receiving and sending msgs,often,is erratic, and after repeated attempts,of "Receive/Send commands, the action takes place. POP3, server,http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp incoming(POP3).... http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp,
SMTP.Hotmail.com are typed in appropriate spaces
The normal e.mail i.d, and password are typed...These settings have been done in control panel, Mail,box.
What else to do, to eliminate the error, messages I receive, in the OE.6 .
I will thank you for your considered advise, and guidance.
Thanks, Prakash Karra.

Collapse -
Out Look express 6 Configuration.

In reply to: Out look Express 6 with Windows 98. S.E.

Surprising that several other users had this problem;perhaps, due to changed policy of Micro soft.
These settings for the server worked in avoiding all those error messages.
incoming : pop3hot.com
smtp : mx1.hotmail.com
These I got from a website, and receive & send functions work well.
Thanks for placing the problem, on the web.
Prakash Karra. prakshkarra@hotmail.com

Collapse -
3/18/05 What program do you use to read your e-mail?

I use Microsoft Outlook to read my mail

Collapse -
Lotus Notes (: at work and Thunderbird at home

I am forced to use Lotus Notes at work (ugh) and I use Thunderbird at home. I try to stay as far away from Outlook/Outlook express as possible as they seem very prone to virus attacks.

Collapse -
Netscape Composer?

I READ my email with Netscape mail/newsgroups, NOT Composer. I COMPOSE emails with Netscape COMPOSER. You should either know how to use the progams you ask questions about or get a consultant who does.

Collapse -
Email

Outlook Express is my longtime favorite. Would like to see a few more of the Outlook features in it, but it is pretty darned well done as it is.

Collapse -
Email

In reply to: Email

I like to use Gmail it is one of the best. Yahoo mail is great to , You can check your email anywhere with either of these.

Collapse -
mailpicker.com

In reply to: Email

I use mailpicker.com ot manage all my mail in one place.

Collapse -
Microsoft Outlook

Hi.

I use Microsoft Outlook 2007 and web sites for my e-mails. i did try Thunderbird but then went back to outlook.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.