Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

3.06ghz duo vs 2.66ghz i5 quad

by Fuzz18500-22991700981445933613852420282529 / November 9, 2009 7:35 AM PST

Im worried if i get the duo it will be outdated soon. I think developers of programs and games will start to make better use of the quad core but am not sure if they will and if it is enough to spend more money for quad. After some consideration. I've decided to get an imac but am unsure as to which is the better value over time.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 3.06ghz duo vs 2.66ghz i5 quad
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 3.06ghz duo vs 2.66ghz i5 quad
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Go with the i5
by Kevin M. Dean / November 9, 2009 12:44 PM PST

Go with the i5, it's the latest gen processor and is better in every way over the Core 2 duo chips, which are already outdated last gen processors.

Collapse -
So on one hand...
by tleMega / November 12, 2009 8:17 AM PST

you have been asking about the difference in value between Macs and a given PC, but you have already made up your mind to purchase an iMac? You seem to be a bit confused.

As the previous poster mentioned, the i5 chips are newer and thus, more powerful and (probably more) efficient. I've seen the 27-inch iMacs at the store, and I must say, the screens are gorgeous and if I could, I would definitely take one home to replace my G4. I believe that Apple is constantly expanding multicore support within each dot release of OS X, although I can't say for certain if Adobe and other major software publishers are currently supporting all of the cores Apple and Intel throw in there. Snow Leopard itself can handle them, but third-party applications may or may not. Get what works for you. The 27-inch iMacs hold incredible value, considering you're getting a top-notch Mac with a gigantic monitor. With the proper cables, you can even retool the monitor to work with external peripherals now, something that all previous iMacs have not been able to do. If you're like me, and you have an Xbox or a similar machine sitting next to your computer gear, this could be extremely convenient and useful. Spring for it if you can.

-BMF

Collapse -
Well I was
by Fuzz18500-22991700981445933613852420282529 / November 13, 2009 10:58 AM PST
In reply to: So on one hand...

I mean just because apple has nice advertisements does not mean i will not try to find flaws in it to figure out whats true or not. Im simply making sure it is a good value. Which apperantly it is.

Collapse -
Ok, glad you got it sorted out
by tleMega / November 14, 2009 7:50 AM PST
In reply to: Well I was

Apple's ads aren't perfect, but I don't think I've ever seen one that was completely false. The only problem with their ad campaign is they spend way too much time attacking the competition rather than promoting the many benefits of their own products. Why tell your target audience that you should escape from something when you can just offer them something better instead? Macs can advertise themselves.

The 27-inch iMacs are great deals, regardless of the processor choice. I don't think upgrading to the i5 would make a significant difference, or the i7 for that matter, unless you are bent on running some heavy-duty editing software, although most probably don't support multicore chips. Whichever configuration you get, I doubt you'll be disappointed with it.

-BMF

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?