Computer Help forum

Question

2TB Memory Stick

by bombardier5 / February 20, 2015 11:51 PM PST

Hello forum,

so I have lately bought a memory stick from eBay described as 2TB. I did not really need it, but I was fascinated about the size. I am having issue now that every time I copy some sample files such as some TV series or large bunk of photos, then always some of it is corrupted.

I have tried formatting the memory stick to different file systems: exFAT, NTFS, but it did not help. Is there any way to make it usable, so that most of the files will not get corrupted while copying? Do you have any ideas about what is happening or how to bypass it? I am also not sure what feedback leave to the seller on eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261775431325

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 2TB Memory Stick
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 2TB Memory Stick
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
You know it's a scam. Link follows.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2015 12:00 AM PST
In reply to: 2TB Memory Stick
Collapse -
sensible capacity
by bombardier5 / February 21, 2015 12:14 AM PST

What is the largest capacity of the memory stick sensible to buy to avoid scams?
thanks for your reply

Collapse -
Re: capacity
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 21, 2015 12:40 AM PST
In reply to: sensible capacity

At Newegg I see a Kingston 1 TB thumb drive for $953.99 and a Kingston 512 GB one (USB 3.0) for $419.99 (the one from Corsair is $329.99). That sounds like fair prices for such a product. Kingston and Corsair are well-known makers and Newegg has a good return policy.

So, based on this seller only, my answer is "1 TB". If that's enough for you, I wouldn't go higher.

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks Kees.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2015 12:57 AM PST
In reply to: Re: capacity

For now I tend to go for cheaper solutions for near pocket size 1TB. The problem is backup. Folk continue to forget that if they get a 1TB anything you need one or two more to keep from losing it all.

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-BX100-Internal-Solid-State/dp/B00RQA6LIM/ get me a 1TB SSD which I could pop into http://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Enclosure-Tool-free-Installation-Compatible/dp/B00DW374W4/ (I own that one.)

That's 500 for a 1TB flash drive.

I did pop a 500GB HDD into that case for not much.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Re: feedback
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 21, 2015 12:49 AM PST

The seller says she's pregnant and prefers a full refund (39.99 GBP) above a negative feedback. Worth a try.

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate, however, to give negative feedback about the quality of the product after receiving the refund (although it would be fair to give a positive feedback about the prompt refund, in the unlikely case that happens).

And this was the first time I ever read "earthquake proof" as a property of a thumb drive!

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
FAKE FAKE FAKE
by James Denison / February 21, 2015 3:11 AM PST

I really wish all countries where EBay is allowed would pass a law that banned all flash sales on Ebay, no exceptions. The site is flooded with fake flash and they aren't doing enough to block the scammers. Sure, kill a profile, but the same ones come back with another, and most already have registered a hundred or more so they can immediately move right over into the next profile they have. The only way to end it is to ban all flash sales from EBay.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?