Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

2nd wireless router

by vze6k8m6 / March 22, 2006 9:07 AM PST

Okay, this seems to be somewhat of a common question as I have seen while doing some research online. I try to do as much of my own research and learn myself before I have to ask. But the answers I have found, are not exactly the same as what I am wanting to do.
In out "office" we have the DSL modem connected to a Belkin G wireless router. What I want, is to be able to have the PS2 and or Tivo box connected out in the living room. Me being a tight-azz, bought another wireless router (D-link 524) for real cheap as I thought I heard a router can be used as an access point for much less than a true access point or gaming bridge.
So what I want to know, is can the main router broadcast to the second router wirelessly? Thus the second one is just "recieving" the wireless signal and giving me the LAN ports on back of it to use. I have yet to open the D-link, but I did look in menu of Belkin and it can be used as an access opoint as well as a bridge. Could someone lend me a hand? Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 2nd wireless router
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 2nd wireless router
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just follow the instruction on the manual...
by Gakada / March 22, 2006 2:29 PM PST
In reply to: 2nd wireless router

the configuration is most likely in the accesspoint itself..

Collapse -
Thanks?
by vze6k8m6 / March 22, 2006 8:06 PM PST

I appreciate you taking the time to reply. But if it had been that easy, I would have been done a while ago without asking for help.

Collapse -
try this
by Robert L Masters / March 23, 2006 7:21 AM PST

for most routers you will have to hook them up to the modem and computer with a hardline and then there should be a menu in the routers web based setup page that will let you set it up to be a access point. from there you will have to unplug it and then put it where you want it. Plug it in and it should work.

Collapse -
WDS
by linkit / March 23, 2006 8:11 AM PST

WIRED:
Easiest way is to make a wired connection between the 2 routers. Only the router connected to your broadband modem should have its DHCP server enabled.

WIRELESS:
Connnect two wireless routers using a Wirless Distribution System (WDS)

Internet ---- router1 ~ ~ ~ router2 ~-~-~ computers

---- wired
~ ~ ~ wireless
~-~-~ wired and/or wirless

Most routers don't have firmware that can enable a WDS. Some do. Some routers (like many Linksys WRT54G and WRT54GS versions) are able to take 3rd party firmware that can enable a WDS.

Collapse -
Still not getting it
by vze6k8m6 / March 23, 2006 8:26 AM PST
In reply to: WDS

I appreciate the help and ideas I really do, but this is not what I am talking about. I definately will not be running a cable from router A to router B. I understand that would be the easiest and speediest way, but not an option unfortunately.
The second WDS post was close, but I want this : DSL Modem----Belkin Wireless Router---desktop PC AND >>>>D-Link router (living room)-----PS2 & Tivo. I DO NOT want the D-link front room for wireless DO NOT. I want it for the LAN ports. If it gives off the wireless signal, fine but that is NOT want I will be using it for.
Is this considered bridge or access point? Also in the Belkin manual it says it can do it, but only with another belkin router or access point.

Collapse -
whatever you want
by linkit / March 23, 2006 8:55 AM PST
In reply to: Still not getting it

Whatever you wish to use in the WDS implementation, wired or wireless, is your choice.

Collapse -
whoops, forgot the modem
by linkit / March 23, 2006 8:47 AM PST
In reply to: WDS

Should be:
Internet ---- modem ---- router1 ~ ~ ~ router2 ~-~-~ computers

Collapse -
okay
by vze6k8m6 / March 23, 2006 9:03 AM PST

I almost didn't see your dashes between the tildes (my keyboard doesn't have those.). So I should be able to do this? From what I have been reading this is a "bridge" correct. I know like I said, the Belkin will do bridge mode, not sure of the d-link, haven't opened it up yet, but it is an el cheapo. But if it does not, I can use it as main router and use belkin as the bridge. I am going to give this a go. I see headache and long night ahead of me. But the only way to learn is to try I guess. Can this be wep encrypted too?

Collapse -
no guarantee
by linkit / March 23, 2006 10:40 AM PST
In reply to: okay

Except for what is explicitly outlined in the Belkin router manual, there is NO GUARANTEE that this will work.

Encryption possibilities depend on how the two routers interract. Varying levels/types of encryption are allowed depending on the 2 router models and their respective firmware versions. Again, there is NO GUARANTEE that this will work except for what is outlined in their respective manuals.

Try Googling the router models or companies with "WDS". See how others have done this with your models.

Collapse -
Guess not
by vze6k8m6 / March 27, 2006 3:26 AM PST
In reply to: no guarantee

The Dlink DI-524 does not support WDS and has no mention of being able to act as a wireless bridge. Guess it won't work with these two. The Belkin has a great manual describing how to do it, but says it will only work with thier own equipment. Fooey! This d-link was only $19 but guess it can't happen.

Collapse -
good deal
by linkit / March 27, 2006 5:32 AM PST
In reply to: Guess not

That is a good router for a great price.

You have stumbled onto the reason why wireless tinkerers love the Linksys WRT54G (most versions), WRT54GS (most versions) and the WRT54GL. Since Linksys has public source code for its firmware on these models, third party firmware developers have been able to develop their own feature-filled firmware options (including WDS).

Check this out:
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1934591,00.asp

Page 2 of that article shows some firmware options:
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1934574,00.asp

Collapse -
price
by vze6k8m6 / March 27, 2006 9:36 AM PST
In reply to: good deal

Yeah, that sounds great. But I am a tightass abd was hoping to do it at this price. Am I to assume that "Hawking" and "Airlink" are cheap for a reason? Also regarding wireless bridges that are made to be just that, do they have just one ethernet jack? Can a switch be added giving me more ports? I want wired access for Tivo box and PS2. I appreciate all of your help.

Collapse -
right track
by linkit / March 27, 2006 2:18 PM PST
In reply to: price

I don't know Hawking and Airlink that well. I have used a few Hawking products--they worked as expected.

You are on the right track with bridges. They can "bridge" the gap between a wireless access point on one part of a network and a remote switch with multiple devices on the other part of a network. Options include a bridge, router as bridge (if supported), WAP as bridge (if supported).

You might benefit from reading a user manual for a bridge like the Linksys WET54G or the offerings from the same companies as your routers.

Another resource:
http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/1563991

As for PS2, I'm not a gamer, so maybe someone out there can jump in with a suggestion.

Collapse -
Good router?
by vze6k8m6 / March 28, 2006 9:18 AM PST
In reply to: good deal

What makes you say the D-link is a "good' wireless router. My father in law has one and from the get go, I thought it was mereley so-so and the customer support was HORRID when there was a problem. My Belkin seems to offer more along the lines of features. Though I must say, resetting the router and modem every couple of days and waiting for things to sync up is getting old.

Collapse -
Essentially, it works
by linkit / March 28, 2006 6:53 PM PST
In reply to: Good router?

In my book, if a router functions as specified and performs close to other routers (no noticeable difference) at its price level, then it is "good." If the user doesn't update the firmware and configure any router properly, then it won't work as specified. Although I do realize that there may be some duds in large production models, I have been able to get this model to work.

If you search these forums for ?DI-524?, you will see that updating the firmware does the trick for some.

http://www.dlink.com/products/support.asp?pid=316&sec=0#firmware

Collapse -
?
by vze6k8m6 / March 29, 2006 6:31 AM PST
In reply to: Essentially, it works

Yeah, it works as a regular router no problem. But it does not support WDS, bridging, or use as an AP. Regardless of the firmware.

Collapse -
correct - no bridging
by linkit / March 29, 2006 6:50 AM PST
In reply to: ?

You asked why I thought the router is "good." I explained that it functions as specified. Its specifications don't include wireless bridging.

My comment about updating firmware was directed towards your father-in-law's problem with his DI-524 and if you decide to use yours as a wireless router. Sorry for the confusion.

Collapse -
no prob
by vze6k8m6 / March 29, 2006 10:38 AM PST
In reply to: correct - no bridging

No problem, just a minor mix up. His is going good now. In fact, more stable more often than my Belkin. He used to also have to constantly reboot and reset everything, almost daily. Now after getting a knowledgable person on the phone and making some changes his is going strong. What are some possible causes for what I describe? Or should I start a new thread?
Back to the original deal though. So a cheap wireless bridge (the Hawking is just $28) with a switch (unknown price) will give me a few ethernet ports in front room. Correct?

Collapse -
some thoughts
by linkit / March 29, 2006 2:50 PM PST
In reply to: no prob

That may work, but sometimes wireless network equipment is picky, and the Hawking bridge may not like making a wireless bridge to a particular wireless router (or WAP). It may only be able to do this with another Hawking product. So check the manual before you purchase. Sometimes it is just trial and error.

THE SWITCH:
You can get a reliable 8-port switch for about US$10 (sometimes less with rebate). Here's one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817130108

...or just use your DI-524 as a 3-port switch.

Collapse -
Need the second router to act as a bridge or client
by rbrodner / March 27, 2006 9:39 PM PST

Most routers cannot receive via wireless (in fact your Belkin is the first one I have ever heard of that could). What you need for the second device is something that can act as a wireless bridge (or wireless client). You can get a wireless bridge (or access point) and connect it to a switch to connect both the PS2 and the TiVo.

Collapse -
okay
by vze6k8m6 / March 28, 2006 9:16 AM PST

Yes, this is what I was trying to say. i think. Thanks for the help. Is there any speed (throughput?) lost when bridging? I thought I had heard that several routers, as long as they supported wds, could act as a bridge. Like I said, it is in my manual.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!