Computer Help forum

General discussion

2nd Pc set up , fans on , power switch fails , no GPU signal

by ster8edger / July 24, 2008 11:13 AM PDT

hey everyone i`m pretty new to the PC community and i`m glad to be apart of it.
I just rigged a new set up and here are the specs.
cpu -AMD ATHLON 64x2 5200+ duo ( 2.7ghz)
ECS - A780GM-A
XFX Nvidia 8500 1gig
Raimax Sagittarius 2 case
430 watt thermal intake PSU
4 gigs of PQI high perforemance gaming memory DDR2 800 ( pc2 6400 )
encore - pci ide controller ( for back up )
encore - short range pci wirless networking card
LITE-ON dvc/cd combo ( IDE - TYPE)
80 gig hard drives x 3 ( various brands left overs all working fine before new setup) (ide type)
see everything is hooked up fine double checked even from the manuals. except i had to set up my CD drive and hard drive differently. since my mobo has only one IDE port I had to use a 36 inch ide interface cable to connect my Drive and hard drive together ( setting cd drive to slave and main hardrive to master excluding the 2 other hard drives arent going to be set up yet. )
weird thing is power switch when pressed doesnt boot anything up actually nothing turns on ( yes the PSU power button is on )
BUT when I dont press it and i turn the PSU power button on all the fans turn on and led lights go on and everything except my CD drive it still doest turn on ( considering all the parts inside are already connected to the PSU )
And last when turned on the Monitor doest even pick up the signal from the VGA cable ( and yes the video card is screwed shut on to the VGA cable Wink lol )
so there you have it i have no clue how to resolve this if i can only get the thing to turn on and get bios started. so i can install the OS WinkWink
thanks hope some one here can help!!! Wink

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 2nd Pc set up , fans on , power switch fails , no GPU signal
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 2nd Pc set up , fans on , power switch fails , no GPU signal
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
First thing to do

First thing to do, is strip it down to the bare essentials you need to get the system booting. So, CPU, RAM, video card, and one hard drive. Yank all other drives, PCI cards, etc.

If it boots, then you can start adding things one at a time until you find the problem.

I might suggest starting with the DVD drive, and then installing the OS. Then gradually adding more and more stuff based on it's importance.

Collapse -
okay did it
by ster8edger / July 24, 2008 11:59 AM PDT
In reply to: First thing to do

well after all that i stripped the PCI peripherals and left the basics and for sum reason power button switch doesnt work still.

still just turns on by PSU switch but no VGA signal or booting comes up from mobo.

Sad

Collapse -
Then reseat things
by Jimmy Greystone / July 24, 2008 2:45 PM PDT
In reply to: okay did it

Then reseat things like the video card. Sometimes taking it out and putting it back in will help. Also go over every single cable and make sure it's securely in place.

Also, did you actually connect the power button cable to the pins on the motherboard, and are you absolutely certain it's on the right pins? A flathead screwdriver is a good way to make a quick connection to see if you've got the right pins to power the system on.

Collapse -
yes i did
by ster8edger / July 24, 2008 3:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Then reseat things

yes i double checked the front panel connections and was matched correctly , and pins are in place , and for the video card , i`m using the integrated gpu for now ( ATI 3200 HD ) i`ll would rather install the NV 8500 later. but yes i checked everything for some reason why its not turning on correctly at all Sad

any other psoobilities of an error i might of looked over ?

i appreciate all the help you given me.

Collapse -
At this point
by Jimmy Greystone / July 25, 2008 2:02 AM PDT
In reply to: yes i did

At this point, I would probably suspect the PSU is defective. So, you can either go out and buy a tester or return the PSU and get a new one.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!