Laptops forum

General discussion

2nd Laptop (desktop replacement) OR dekstop&netbook solution

by DaniSiede / April 4, 2012 1:45 PM PDT

Hi!
I've got two laptops computers. One of them is a portable netbook (Asus eee 1015ped) which I carry in my backpack everyday and use mostly for school related purposes. The other is a 15inch laptop (old dell vostro1000) which I use at home 90% of the time.
Well recently the big laptop has crashed, and since it's pretty old I decided to get a new machine: a desktop replacement 15 or 17 inch laptop (probably a dell xps 15 or 17 with intel i7 processor (cost $800-$1000)).

However I realized that maybe I it would be smarter to get a desktop for about the same amount of money, since I already have a notebook that is super portable. A desktop should offer a better performance for the same amount of money and it could last a little longer than any laptop.

You should know that I usually do not play games on PCs (I've got a PS3 for that). The most intensive task that I could throw at the computer is watching a full hd movie or shortening a full hd video that i captured using my camera (but definitely no hardcore video editing).

So my question is: would the 2012 Dell XPS laptop with core i7 processor, 8 GB of RAM and 1GB of graphical memory, fulfil my needs for the 'stronger computer' ???

Overall I find the "desktop replacement solution" more convenient, because maybe at some point I may need to use a more powerful pc in class; but then again, I already know that it will sit on my desk at home 95% of the time, so maybe a desktop would be a smarter, 'better value' solution.

I know its sort of a laptops vs desktops (apples and oranges) thing, but keep in mind that I lean towards the laptop idea, because I find laptops overall much more convenient.

What would you do, if you were me? I'm a student who needs two computers, one portable, one more powerful. I do not play games on any of them, so no need for a gaming desktop, but I still want to know if the desktop replacement will be good enough for my needs for at least 3 years.

thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 2nd Laptop (desktop replacement) OR dekstop&netbook solution
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 2nd Laptop (desktop replacement) OR dekstop&netbook solution
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!