Desktops forum

General discussion

2nd hard drive gets no power,cpu wont boot when plugged.

hp pavilion a1112n. 160 gb samsung . 1 gb ram. 2nd hard drive 200gb westen digital.
He's my issue. 3 days ago i got the blue screen of death. It said "kernel stack inpage error". When i attempted to reboot, i get "sk boot disk error". opened up cpu and after about 10 try's and playing around with settings(changed 2nd hd from slave to cable select)got it to work. as a side note the cpu boots with no issues when the 2nd h/d is unplugged. but i plug in both hard the both disapear during boot-up. few days pass with everything working perfect, and it happens again, same issue, i also notice that my second hard drive is not spinning, almost like if was getting no power. I ordered a new power supply from Hp but they sent the wrong one. Is it possible that the power supply is failing? maybe its not enough power for 2 drives,i disconnected the 2 cd/dvd drives and it still would not power up the 2 hard drives at the same time. its 250 watts for 2 hard drives, 1 cd burner and one dvd burner. worked fine for about 2 years but im thinking it might just be a simple power supply issue. any thoughts out there????

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 2nd hard drive gets no power,cpu wont boot when plugged.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 2nd hard drive gets no power,cpu wont boot when plugged.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
PSU losing it

In reply to: 2nd hard drive gets no power,cpu wont boot when plugged.

You probably reached a tipping point with the power supply. It just doesn't have the "phumf" to get going, it's underpowered. Try removing the one or both CD power connections and then connect the HD and see if it boots-up, but be sure the bios is reset for no CDs present. If it works then or improves, just replace the psu with a compatible but higher rated wattage. The psu is also showing its age after 2yrs.. replacement should be at least a 350W or better and a namebrand one, not a cheap one. be sure it will work in your system.

Be sure that the HD jumpering is proper. If you use master/slave setup or CS, then it is correct and using 40pin&80 conductor IDE cable and/or the SATA setup is correct.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
its not the psu

In reply to: PSU losing it

went out and got a new one(power supply), plugged it in. everything works except my 2nd hard drive, it wont spin! no power what so ever. When i plug it in, my cpu will NOT boot up, when i unplug it, everything world fine. any other opinions? hard drice is fairly new and has showed no signs of problems

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.