Linux forum

General discussion

2nd hard drive for suse10.0

by chicoharv / April 27, 2006 1:11 AM PDT

I have a HP P4 running windows XP PRO on a 80G HD.I added a 2nd HD 40G that I would like to run suse10.0.on. I have the 5 cd set to install suse with but xp does not regognize the 2nd HD although the HP recognized it at initial power up. It told me if I was running UNIX I would need to option the HD. How to I option the HD and make sure I get a dual operating system with SUSE10.0 only on the 2nd HD.I go into system set up F10 but it is a HP set up and will not allow me to see the HD's for partioning . I do not have a partioning CD to set up formatting etc, but the Disc 1 SUSE will partion a drive but I don't want it to screw up HD1 with XP on it. My other option is to put Linux on a 2nd computer but I don't realy want to do that for space consideration. The 40G hd is a used drive and must have had unix in it at one time.The hard drives are set up as cable select.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 2nd hard drive for suse10.0
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 2nd hard drive for suse10.0
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds right.
by chuckieu / April 27, 2006 3:57 AM PDT

Windows normally won't see a Unix/Linux partition (HDD).
As you guessed, there must be 'Nix on 40g drive. All you do is: Insert disc 1 and reboot. Suse (or most other Linux) will then install where you choose. Just accept
defaults unless you know better; i.e. 40G HDD, use entire disc, use Grub as bootloader, put MBR on head of WINDOWS
disc (important). Good luck. chuck

Collapse -
2nd Hard Drive for Suse 10.0
by good1deal / May 6, 2006 11:39 AM PDT

If you boot from the first Suse install CD, Suse's install program should do everything for you. How newbee are you? Do you know the hard drive naming conventions like /dev/hda for IDE drive #1, /dev/hda1 for first partition on drive #1, etc? If not, do some googles to locate information to teach yourself the naming convention as it helps to know this when in the Suse installer.

You may feel more comfortable partitioning the second hard drive before you get into the Suse installer. You can use Partition Magic or open-source clones like GParted [http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php]. Be sure to set up a Linux swap partition (about 500Mb or more). Thus your second hard drive will have at least two partitions: one swap and one Linux file system partition. Suse recommends the Reiser file system. Partition Magic can set up partitions, but I don't think it can do a Reiser format. GParted will do that however. The Knoppix Linux live-CD has a partition magic clone too.

You shouldn't have any problem with the Suse install. My PC has the same set up you are trying to do: Windows FAT32 partitions on the first hard drive, with the second hard drive devoted to Linux. Actually I have Suse 9.3, Mepis, Kanotix and Vector all in unique partitions on the second drive all bootable from a GRUB bootloader menu.

If you are really cautious, you may want to first save the current MBR (i.e., first 512 bytes on HD#1) so that you can restore it if the Suse install leaves you unbootable. Google MBRTOOL, a DOS utility that will save your MBR and restore it if need be.

Collapse -
2nd hard drive.
by chicoharv / May 6, 2006 3:02 PM PDT

I finally got suse10 to work on my spare computer so now I don't need to put it on my main computer until I get used to it. However my xp is not FAT32 but NTFS. The second hard drive is formatted NTFS also. I will try to partion the 2nd drive anyway in prep for adding suse10 at a later date. I lost my MBR on my spare computer trying to load suse with KDE in place of Gnome,and then trying to load fedora core4 and ubunto to see what I preferred. I like suse and will stick with that.I think part of the problem was and is windows will not even recognize the linux partions and part is me being a nosy newbie.Thanks for the info.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.