Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

2nd drive not recognized by XP

My computer has two hard drives, OS and programs on first drive, data on second drive - single partitions on each drive. Had Used Win 98SE. Disconnected second (data) drive, then did clean install of XP Pro on first drive (FAT32) and reinstalled programs on first drive. Then reconnected second drive. Second drive appears in Device Manager, but not in Windows Explorer. How may I correct issue with second drive, without losing data on second drive?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 2nd drive not recognized by XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 2nd drive not recognized by XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Two things

In reply to: 2nd drive not recognized by XP

If you still have a boot disk with fdisk, you might try the /MBR switch to repair the master boot record on that drive. But, since you said you installed XP using FAT-32, and your second drive is over 32 gigs, it might not see the drive. In this case, you might try changing XP to NTFS. This can be done from the command prompt.

Collapse -
Re: Two things

In reply to: Two things

I do have win98 fdisk and I also have the win-me fdisk which I understand does not have the size limitation as the win98 version - is this correct? Also I want to stay with fat32 until I am sure that everything is stable.

Collapse -
Fdisk was updated. Link provided.

In reply to: Re: Two things

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=263044

The stock FDISK with Windows 98/ME and other had a 64GB issue.

Your comment about FAT32 is typical of a DOS Windows user just starting out on the newer Windows. You'll get over it soon. Let me assure you that FAT32 errors do contribute to stability if you cound such as lost clusters and such.

bob
Collapse -
Re: Fdisk was updated. Link provided.

In reply to: Fdisk was updated. Link provided.

Thanks for the responce Bob - do you also agree with the responce to the orgional issue - i.e. trying to save data on second drive.

Collapse -
To see if that data is still there...

In reply to: Re: Fdisk was updated. Link provided.

Collapse -
Re: To see if that data is still there...

In reply to: To see if that data is still there...

Where do I find KNOPPIX BOOT CD?

Collapse -
Jackman, that was in the noted discussion...

In reply to: Re: To see if that data is still there...

Or even google.com

Please do a little research on such.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: 2nd drive not recognized by XP

In reply to: 2nd drive not recognized by XP

Let me try a variation of the original question - Is it likely I can restore a drive's contents on drive 2 which was imaged by Norton Ghost 2003 when running win98se on drive 1 as OS - Have installed on drive 1 win XP Pro as OS? If so which Ghost boot diskette to use the one created under win 98 or XP? or what is best procedure to use?

I disconcerted drive 2 to protect data during XP install on drive 1 - now OS does not recognize drive 2 once re-connected.

Collapse -
My first step is the DOS disk. Here's how and why.

In reply to: Re: 2nd drive not recognized by XP

With DOS booted, the simple DIR D: or such will show if the files are "there". If they are, then XP needs a little help by rewriting the MBR. The new FDISK was noted and the command is...

FDISK /MBR

There is a space after FDISK. There is also an article describing this command and its use on Windows XP. I will leave it to others to find it.

Hopefully the drive will now show up. But will not if the DIR didn't show files.

The KNOPPIX CD gives us a way to copy files from the odd drive to the new XP drive without any command line skills. Then one can repartition and format the added drive since all the files have been recovered.

Hope this clears it up,

Bob

Collapse -
Re: My first step is the DOS disk. Here's how and why.

In reply to: My first step is the DOS disk. Here's how and why.

Thanks again Bob - I am downloading KNOPIX - at current speed of 26.0KB/sec I have 7 hours left to complet download.

Collapse -
THE first step is the DOS disk.

In reply to: Re: My first step is the DOS disk. Here's how and why.

You must do that test. Here's why. If DOS can't see that drive content then we may be dealing with another issue.

Since you have hours to kill?

Bob

Collapse -
Re: THE first step is the DOS disk.

In reply to: THE first step is the DOS disk.

Booted to win 98 the no.2 drive did not show up using DIR :E - D; was a ram drive. Additional suggestions?

I did do a Norton Ghost image of this drive under win 98 - just before disconnesting it and installing XP on drive 1 - prehaps I should revert back to win98 using Ghost then copy data (about 20 GB) to DVD - then back to XP via ghost image just made. leave 2 drive connected this time and if data is not there copy from DVD?

Collapse -
It's likely some Disk Manager software was in play

In reply to: Re: THE first step is the DOS disk.

Many used EZDrive, Maxblast or other drive management software to create said drives and when this is used, trouble starts when they move the drive around.

That's a sad sign that DOS didn't see the drive contents.

Next time, supply the output of this command for more clues...

FDISK /STATUS

Unless KNOPPIX sees it and since the FDISK /MBR didn't cure it, I fear you need to work back to when and where the drive contents were visible.

Bob

Collapse -
One more thought

In reply to: Re: 2nd drive not recognized by XP

Ghost I do not have but PowerQuest's Drive Image I do and am well familiar with. If I copy the entire contents from one drive to another with DI, there are some options in the copy process. One of these allows me to "hide" the original or newly created partition. By hiding, it just allows me to set or not set it active. Is there any way Ghost operates in a similar manner? Is it possible the drive you cannot see does not have it's partition set "active"? In this case, fdisk should be able to disclose and fix this.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.