Question

2GB RAM, only 12MB avaiable! Help!

Hey guys,

This is my first post as i can usually find my answers elsewhere, but this time, Ive had no luck.

I am running windows xp sp3 professional 32-bit and have recently
upgraded my RAM from a 256mb(333) + 512MB(333) to a
512MB(400)+512MB(400) set up. When i did this upgrade i got an enjoyable
multi-tasking boost so i again upgraded to a 1GB(333)+1GB(333) set up.
Again another good performance boost!

But, over the last three days the pc has become slower and slower, today
when i checked 'system information' i found that windows was
recognising the 2GB physical memory as it had when i first installed it,
but instead of having between 1600MB-1200MB of 'available physical
memory' after a boot up, i was sitting on 52MB of available physical
memory.

I tried reinstalling the two 1GB RAM sticks, changing their order, then
returned to the 512MB+512MB set up but had the same problem, except i
now have only 12MB of available physical memory!

(Screenshots taken in
system information are during time when i had 2GB RAM installed)
I cannot find anyway to fix this and my computer has slowed to a virtually unusable state. Any suggestions would be fantastic!
Thanks in advance!

Screenshot of Task Manager and System Information

Ethire

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: 2GB RAM, only 12MB avaiable! Help!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: 2GB RAM, only 12MB avaiable! Help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
XP and ram

It maybe possible you have tasks running that when time permits goes at it. At the same time, I find XP very tricky with ram issues. Through it handles it well, users don't get the drift that ram just doesn't sit, it gets used as soon as its available. The more work or tasks it does and not to exclude any system tasks when idle, one being doing a defrag or scan if the time table is followed, etc., or available access. If you're online it may auto-update and then install. XP also has its own issues of all the fixes, updates, patches and what have you due its age can creep in and cause minor hassles. Also, you're handling of the ram, MUST be ESD free and fully seated. if you need it, a bios update maybe in order, so check the bios level, if there's a gap, update. often enough some bios updates address ram issues. detaiols do matter, all these posts and no idea what the actual PC is, etc.. try to see if you disable AVG and check results for another area to check. Try running memtest to see if it test well ram installed. Also, I use a pgm. called PCWizard 2012 and can report exactly the ram specs and similar is desirable.

tada -----Willy Happy

- Collapse -
Answer
What most people don't understand

What most people don't understand, is that all modern operating systems will grab as much RAM as they can, and that this is a Good Thing(tm). Free RAM is wasted RAM. If you have a 5 bedroom house, but only use 1 room, what good are the other 4 doing you? They're just sitting empty, doing nothing. Same goes for RAM. May as well load something into that so that the OS doesn't have to go drag it off the HDD later, which will be significantly slower.

When is the last time you scanned your system for malware? Since you seem to have an older system, if it has an IDE drive, have you checked to see if you're being bitten by the infamous XP DMA bug? Any other things you have done troubleshooting wise that don't focus on the RAM usage?

- Collapse -
Answer
Again, Free RAM is wasted RAM

XP is a virtual memory OS so any free RAM should be consumed, even if for a trivial purpose. This confused those moving from older non-Virtual Memory OSes.
Bob

CNET Forums