TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

2D to 3D TV hypothetical question

by buratti / December 30, 2010 10:33 PM PST

So, I've been doing lots of research and even posted on other forums , but have gotten mixed answers on my question. Basically in short, my question is, is it possible to turn a non 3D TV into a 3D TV (using hypothetical equipment explained later)? Now before anyone just quickly answers that question "no" hear me out and listen to my arguments first.

First of all, to my understanding, a summary of what makes a 3D TV different from an non 3D is the software/hardware INSIDE the tv that can interpret the 3D bluray signals, convert non 3D content to 3D and communicate with the shutter glasses to tell them when to open/close each eye (along with a standard refresh rate of 120Hz or higher). Now taking all of that into account, and even if I am missing a few things on my understanding, lets pretend there is this hypothetical gadget. For sake of argument lets just say its all built into a 3D bluray player. This bluray player communicates with shutter glasses and in short, basically just sends the "dual" image to the screen of the TV, and inside the player does all rendering, communicating with glasses, and anything else that is done behind the scenes, using the TV just as a display for the images being sent to it. Technically speaking, I do not see how this would NOT turn my regular TV into a 3D one.

Now lets turn this hypothetical gadget into reality. Ignoring the fact that I can just go out and buy a 3D TV instead, if I were to get one of those new 3D laptops that come with the shutter glasses, bluray player, etc., and providing they have a HDMI output, just use my TV as a display for the laptop, then technically my theory above should work right?

My current TV is a LG 55LH40. (1080p, 120Hz, LCD). Now I did hear a snag that could disrupt my theory. It was actually in an article here on cnet. It basically said that all HDMI ports on TV's only have an input capacity of 60Hz or LESS. Being that 3D needs MINIMUM of 120Hz (60 each eye), this would obviously hurt my theory, but if that is true, lets ignore it just for sake of argument. So, what are everyone's professional opinions on my theory here?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 2D to 3D TV hypothetical question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 2D to 3D TV hypothetical question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I think you got it all wrong.
by ahtoi / December 31, 2010 2:30 AM PST

It's not whether your theory works or not, it's whether you can make it for x-amount that the mass market will buy. Right now there are many 3D producing method that actually works with some better than other.

So go and work out the bugs and patent it then convince the manufacturer. Good luck.

Collapse -
Thats not really the purpose of my theory
by buratti / December 31, 2010 8:08 AM PST

The point of my original question wasn't to figure out if I can market and sell a product, but just to see if technically speaking, it would work, and if possible use it myself at home. You see I just bought a new TV (model listed above) and I was torn between a 3D and this one. I chose this one due to larger size and cheaper price, and now am "almost" regretting the non 3D, and now just want to know "IF IT IS EVEN POSSIBLE"?

Collapse -
No you can not
by givemeaname / December 31, 2010 9:32 AM PST

You would have to rewrite the software code of the tv, add a HDMI 1.4 port, somehow change the frame rate ( mostly a new panel ), then there are the technical problems with the glasses.

3D for in home is a gimmick, until they release glasses free TV's it will never take off & even then it will take years too work out the bugs.

Collapse -
If I remember correctly,
by ahtoi / December 31, 2010 11:22 AM PST

there is such a system available or something similar to that. The problem was that one must view the tv dead center or close to dead center. Even when on dead center the deep of field isn't all that great (the 3D effect is not that good). I probably rather wear my funky color glass, hehe.

Collapse -
Love the thinking here
by tiltmonster / January 2, 2011 8:16 PM PST

How does one get out of buying an entire new entertainment center, every six months? The HD format change was massive; I am having to replace the curtains now, because the new console for the new flat HDTV, does not match the old stereo cabinet. Now I am at odds; do I bury the wife in the yard, or move to a new house. Hmmmm What to do? The hell with marketing, I am thinking about myself here as well. In reality I have a 46 inch HD set strapped over the 40 inch hole, sitting comfortably on the ledge. The PIP became a 16inch HD monitor, mounted on a gate hinge, with an electrical box cover for the mount. Came out pretty good; even if it did take more time than it was worth, and cost almost as much. I like to figure things out, even if it never works. Mostly just to see if it will work; or how I can learn something. I learned a couple things from this question.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?