PC Hardware forum

General discussion

250GB drive only 131 showing

hello

i got a question, i bought 250GB caviar drive SATA, bios is showing it is 250 but when i was installing windows XP it was showing that the only partition i can make is 131GB, now everything is working but still i got only 131GB, bios still shows 250GB

what should i change, hdd got no jumpers defoult

thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 250GB drive only 131 showing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 250GB drive only 131 showing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
XP only supported up to 127GB so that's proper.

In reply to: 250GB drive only 131 showing

Collapse -
OK, someone's not paying attention

In reply to: XP only supported up to 127GB so that's proper.

OK, I read the link and someone's confused. As is stated, the original poster is using a modern SATA drive, not the ancient technology EIDE/ATAPI that the old article (and Web site) is referring to.
That's one of the reasons technology keeps evolving... bigger, better, faster, or smaller, without the limitations of previous standards.

Collapse -
For Multi. XP (notice no SP1 or SP2) has this 127GB Limit.

In reply to: OK, someone's not paying attention

Even on SATA.

Sorry to see you miss that detail.

Bob

Collapse -
My WinXP MCE +SP2 fully supports 200 GB SATA drive.

I'd guess that the rest of the disk is partitioned but not yet assigned a drive letter, e.g. D: or whatever. In the old days, that used to be done in FDISK, but nowdaze folks use some 3rd party software utility Partition Magic, or built into XP there's something like a disk volume management console, perhaps under right-click of My Computer, Manage..?... or else in some control panel icon. Any of those options should show all disk space plus any unassigned partitions. You may just need to tell the software to assign it a drive lettter, or else create partition(s) on the "unused" disk space it shows you.

BTW, I don't know what the other poster is talking about by claiming that Win XP won't recognize or use all modern large HDD... some of which are around 500 GB now.

Collapse -
XP SP2 would be fine. XP would not.

In reply to: My WinXP MCE +SP2 fully supports 200 GB SATA drive.

Dig deeper next time.

Collapse -

In reply to: XP SP2 would be fine. XP would not.

I Dont kno how it works, i never had problem with other hdd, thats my firs western digital and even on their website it says that i can have problem with that and they give links to some tools or sth

i got standard xp, is it possible to download sp2 and modify image, burn it sith sp2 already and install windows like that?? should it show 250 after formating hdd??

Collapse -
The link tells all but in short...

In reply to: ...

XP will only install and show ..127GB. Period. After you install sp1 or sp2 then the rest will show up in the disk management tool. However you don't dare resize drive C since doing so would weld the doors shut on any possible use of your XP CD for OS repairs.

I'd ask Microsoft for a newer CD.

"i got standard xp, is it possible to download sp2 and modify image, burn it sith sp2 already and install windows like that?? should it show 250 after formating hdd??"

No.

Bob

Collapse -
Slipstreaming is a possibility

In reply to: ...

I agree with R. Proffitt. Keep it simple--ask Microsoft for a new CD.

For the record, it is possible to burn a new XP CD wit SP2 "slipstreamed" into it. Note that there is no guarantee this will be easy or even possible with the XP CD's that the major computer makers give you with their systems.

Google: Windows XP slipstream SP2

Here's a nice link:
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

The HD will not show 250GB after you partition it with one large partition. The expected size that Windows will report is about 232GB. The explanation

Collapse -
hmm

In reply to: Slipstreaming is a possibility

ill try slipstream anyways as a curiosity,

the only thing is i used the same windows xp on my computer, i got 160GB seagate and im 99% sure that it shows 160 and i had no problems with that

whats max hdd capacity for sp2, will it handle 750GB seagate??

Collapse -
(NT) 160GB shows as 149-ish

In reply to: hmm

Collapse -
Pay att

Remember the different versions of XP that R. Proffitt mentioned:
XP (no service packs)
XP (SP1)
XP (SP2)

If you install XP (no service packs), upgrade to SP1 or SP2, and then add a secondary hard drive over 137GB, then you will not run into the 48-bit LBA problem mentioned earlier (provided that your hardware also can handle 48-bit LBA). Therefore, you must have upgraded to at least SP1 before you partitioned the 160GB drive with only one large partition.

Collapse -
Max size depends on the file system, among other things

Collapse -
Here is how I solved my problem with the 300GB HDD.

First I want to say I am not using this as a boot drive. I went and bought an $18 SATA CONTROLLER (PCI) and use the mfr. software; I was able to make use of the whole thing.

Now if you are using linux, you wouldn't need any of these (just joking). But it's truth.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.