Storage forum

General discussion

250 GB Seagate Hard Drive only reads 31.4 GB available

by Digitalwayoflife / February 27, 2007 1:51 AM PST

Okay here's the deal.
My 250GB ATA Seagate barracuda hard drive is only reading 31.4GB available. I'v tried everything I can think of. I've read through the forums and serisouly cannot figure this out. Here's what I've done thus far:

Checked proper jumper settings. These are correct
Verified BIOS is 48 bit LBA comptble
Verified OS is 48 bit comptble (winxp pro w/ latest fixes)
Purchased a PCI card for additional IDE slots
Used 3rd party disc set up (Windows Disk wizzard)

I have 2 other drives not including this one that are both already partitioned over 31.4GB. I can't figure this out. Somine help please!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 250 GB Seagate Hard Drive only reads 31.4 GB available
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 250 GB Seagate Hard Drive only reads 31.4 GB available
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"Used 3rd party disc set up (Windows Disk wizzard)"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2007 1:58 AM PST

Ok, now use just Windows. Use NTFS so you won't hit that 32GB limit.

Bob

Collapse -
ftmdui zj
by Digitalwayoflife / February 27, 2007 2:12 AM PST

z etunA ETYUU

Collapse -
250 GB Seagate Hard Drive only reads 31.4 GB available
by Digitalwayoflife / February 27, 2007 2:12 AM PST

already done in NTFS. I wouldn't use FAT anyway. Still limited to 31.4GB

Collapse -
Don't use that 3rd party tool.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2007 2:16 AM PST

Use the native tool. And also try it on the PC's builtin IDE ports. You may have some ide card with an issue.

Bob

Collapse -
250GB reading 31.4GB
by Digitalwayoflife / February 27, 2007 2:41 AM PST

I've tried just using windows through disc management and it still only gives the option of 31.4GB available. I've changed it over to one of my mobo's IDE's and still getting the same limitation of 31.4GB.

These forums are pretty damn slow. It took me nearly 10 minutes just to get this posted. - Kept getting page unavail.

Collapse -
OK, next up. The big guns.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2007 2:49 AM PST
In reply to: 250GB reading 31.4GB

Since you are sure the host machine is good for over 32GB or over 127GB drives let's use DBAN on that drive to be sure we have a clean slate and try again. Be sure to not have drives that you don't want wiped out connected at the time.

Next try again but if it fails look to GpartEd and this boot CD -> http://gparted.sourceforge.net/documentation.php

That's it. All the big guns I know of. If that fails then something is limiting the drive size. Tell me the exact make, model of the drive and the jumper setting you used.

Bob

Collapse -
Make Model
by Digitalwayoflife / February 27, 2007 3:15 AM PST

Seagate Barracuda Model ST3250623A using cable select on all 3 drives

Collapse -
Figure 4 of page 23 at link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2007 3:24 AM PST
In reply to: Make Model
http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/manuals/ata/cuda_72008_pm.pdf

Sometimes I find a jumper PARKED on that location or the owner thought it was for the MASTER. The drive definitely has a limit feature so that gives us cause for the 32GB limit. There have been drives that a pullup resistor has failed and they permanently are 32GB drives in spite of the jumper setting. A super-tech can use a voltmeter and sniff that issue out.

Bob
Collapse -
Well..
by Digitalwayoflife / February 27, 2007 4:24 AM PST

Well I tried DBAN and it actually did nothing. It took about 25 minutes to complete and stated that it returned "non fatal errors which is usually the cause of bad sectors." This just doesn't make sense. The drive is brand new straight outta the box. I haven't even had an opportunity to put any data on it yet.

Collapse -
DBAN only wipes it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2007 4:32 AM PST
In reply to: Well..

Now that it's clean we can hook it up to a stock IDE port and see what XP's FDISK says or Gparted.

Bob

Collapse -
Sorry. Any supertechs?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2007 4:33 AM PST
In reply to: DBAN only wipes it.

That is, one with a voltmeter to check that 32GB jumper is actually working? Hint: Measure voltage on the 2 pins and ground (black cable on power connection) then put the jumper on and what voltage?

Bob

Collapse -
FDISK
by Digitalwayoflife / February 27, 2007 4:42 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry. Any supertechs?

FDISK is not working for me for some reason.

start --> type cmd --> type FDISK right?

Collapse -
Depends on version of OS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2007 4:49 AM PST
In reply to: FDISK

FDISK is on most Linux CDs, GParted gets the owner a mouse, DOS had FDISK, XP used DISKPART on the recovery console.

I used various machines since before CP/M including mag tape, cards and punch tape so I may skip past the tutorial steps. Sorry about that.

Bob

Collapse -
disk part
by Digitalwayoflife / February 27, 2007 4:56 AM PST

Okay so I have diskpart up but I'm unsure what the next step is here.

Collapse -
DISKPART tutorial?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2007 5:22 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.