Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Video Cameras forum

General discussion

24 or 30 - 1/00 or 1/15000 ?

by cal-cameo / April 12, 2008 1:38 PM PDT

I admit I'm lost, and I know this is dumb, but after 4 practice tapes using the Canon XH-A1, I still can't see significant differences in the 24 - 30 fps or various shutter speeds. I am shooting in HD mode, viewing the DVDs on a SD tv, but footage will be used later to produce a Blu-ray product. For now: if you were shooting on mostly bright sunny days, water, with lots of action - (National Wildlife Refuges) other than paying attention to the ND filter, what settings would you instintively try first? I'm asking.
I'm 65, so maybe it's my eyes...but I'm not hanging it up. Not yet.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 24 or 30 - 1/00 or 1/15000 ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 24 or 30 - 1/00 or 1/15000 ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A fast shutter speed will reduce the exposure and freeze
by Kiddpeat / April 12, 2008 3:37 PM PDT

action. A slow shutter will incease the exposure and blur movement. These effects occur in each frame, so you may have to look closely to see them. A spinning airplane propeller is one thing that will show this effect. Bright, outside conditions facilitate high shutter speeds, but may also make it impossible to get very slow speeds unless you use a small aperture or the ND filter.

Collapse -
Shutter mode malfunction?
by cal-cameo / April 12, 2008 11:01 PM PDT

Yesterdy I shot a Canada goose lifting off and in full flight, taking up most of the screen. I was at 30fps and with a shutter at 1/1000. Editing to slow motion, the body of the goose was clear, but the wings action was a total blur. I've tried higher shutter speeds on gulls 1/15000 and CS, and see no difference. I've done better with both of my consumer camcorders. I will try shooting in manual to adjust the aperture, but is it possible the shutter mode on the XH-A1 is malfunctioning? How can this be determined? Thanks for bearing with me...I'm a little frustrated.

Collapse -
Editing to slow motion?
by Kiddpeat / April 12, 2008 11:28 PM PDT

What does it look like at normal speed? Or, if your editor can show you, what does each frame look like?

Editors will, in one manner or another, try to construct intermediate frames when you stretch the time for slow motion. That may well cause action to blur.

That said, if you are using an auto mode, the camera is probably selecting its own shutter speed based on lighting conditions and its meter reading. You may also be slowing it down if you are adjusting the exposure to brighten the image.

Collapse -
Solution with Vegas
by cal-cameo / April 13, 2008 7:43 AM PDT

While the goose shot in question may have indeed been filmed in auto mode, other clips I have were clearly not, with results I cannot accept. Apparently Pinnacle cannot handle this job using HD settings. I downloaded Sony Vegas Pro 8 as a demo, as you previously suggested...and immediatley saw a difference. I will undoubtely buy it, but not looking forward to another learning curve at this late date in my project. I'll have to start over with the XH-A1 too, in regards to this software. In the meantime, I must continue shooting, and take my chances with the settings. I'll let you know in about a month how it's working, if you're interested. Thanks much for the input.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!