General discussion

24" iMac Mic and Cam not working...

My iMac's Microphone and Webcam aren't working... I bought it just over a year ago, I did not get Apple care, and it is no longer under warranty (as of a month ago today). I would like to get it fixed, but I don't know what the best option would be for me. Any suggestions??
Thanks

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: 24" iMac Mic and Cam not working...
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: 24" iMac Mic and Cam not working...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
A couple of things you could try here:

1. Reset PRAM by shutting down the computer and turning it back on again and, at the first chime, hold down the Command + Option + P + R keys (all at once) until you hear the third chime.
2. Check in the System Preferences > Sound that you actually have the Sound Input set to be the Internal (Built-in) Microphone.
3. Create a new account, with admin rights, and see if the problem with the camera and microphone still exist.
4. If all the above fail, you could try an Archive and Install using either the disks that came with your machine or the OS X installation disk, whichever is the more up to date.
Once the A & I has been completed, check to see if the problem is still there. Then bring the system back up to date with Software Update.

Good luck
Let us know how you get on

P

- Collapse -
And if all those software fixes fail

And if all those software fixes fail, dealing with the webcam on these systems is a bit easier than newer models.

Check the ifixit site for instructions on taking your system apart. All you really need to do is take the glass off, then remove the screws on the display bezel. Pull it slightly forward at the top, and the webcam cable will reveal itself. If the system has been worked on before, it will likely not be taped together, but I'm betting there's a good chance someone worked on your system in the past. Getting the two webcam cables together, while trying to hold up that display bezel can be a real PITA.

Now, if the two cables are still connected, then your webcam is almost certainly defective. Probably be cheaper and easier to just get a new USB webcam than fix that. The part itself probably isn't too expensive, but when you factor in about $100 for an hour of labor at some repair shop...

CNET Forums

Forum Info