General discussion

24 hour connection??? and box to connect to dial up

Two questions please

First-two days ago I had the cable company install a router and hub on two desktops. Installer was quik and left when all seemed well, was connected to the internet on both systems. Should mention no printed manual or instructions were left and scant verbal. My knowledge of wireless is zilch.

Things were fine the first day, last use of the day closed IE and OE. The next day could not get any kind of connection at all til I rebooted. Then all was well.
That was true on both systems.

What is causing this and what must I do to stop it, I have not been in the habit of shutting down the computer at the end of the day.

The Dial up box is popping up on the second computer only because it was Dial up til this networked connection was installed-course that was the main reason for the network. On this system anytime a connection is attempted, IE or OE or an auto update by the A/V or ?? the dial up appears.

How do I get rid of that box and any problem it may be causing?

Thanks for any assistance

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: 24 hour connection??? and box to connect to dial up
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: 24 hour connection??? and box to connect to dial up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Since you rebooted and it worked,

That pushes the issue back on your head.

One of the issues that we have now is that PCs are still less reliable than your refrigirator but people are demanding that "it just work."

Sadly, with the new plague of SPYWARE and more I'm unsure if you'll ever find the PC to go stable.

Try this.

- Linux.
- A Macintosh.

See if they work better for you.

Bob

- Collapse -
24 hour connection??? and box to connect to dial up

thanks for the response

Does not seem to be a problem needing Linux or Mac, rather a setting of some kind. Say that because it works just fine all day on both systems, but on the second-the "slave" connected by usb receiver, it is tho a clock shuts it down. A new day means all kind of refusals to connect to the internet til I re-boot. That done on a new day, it is fine all day long.

- Collapse -
It's the way of the PC.

It's not a perfect world. You'll want to change components till you find what it is. Rebooting does work so that points to part or driver issues. Guess who gets to figure that out?

CNET Forums

Forum Info