Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

21 seconds to Yahoo and 0.347 seconds to Kelly's site?

If you look at this thread (I spread my problems around the internet) my ePrompter question, you will see that the problem is that my computer takes 21 seconds to get to myname@yahoo.com, but only 0.347 seconds to get to Karenware's site.
The gurus over at ePrompter forum seem to be stumped.

If any of you know me, you know I am sufficiently paranoid with respect to spyware (scanning regularly) and I use a fair number of anti-spyware products. Suggestion to disable products failed to speed up the time to myname@yahoo.com. I disabled most, but probably not all (yeah, I know, why don't you reboot with nothing selected, that is a last resort).
Can anyone figure out why it would take so long to get to the address.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 21 seconds to Yahoo and 0.347 seconds to Kelly's site?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 21 seconds to Yahoo and 0.347 seconds to Kelly's site?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: 21 seconds to Yahoo and 0.347 seconds to Kelly's site?

In reply to: 21 seconds to Yahoo and 0.347 seconds to Kelly's site?

Did you ever think it was the site and not your computer? I have cable internet and not all sites or pages load at the exact same speed. Time of day and how many others are trying to access the site will often determine how quickly it loads.

Collapse -

few suggestions:-
could be a script error - try turning all script errors notifications on.
are your auto signing into the site? and in particularly with cookies disabled? some sites want to download buckets of cookies and having cookies turned off seems to take long than actually downloading the cookies.
Try using default security settings if you are not.
Download the lastest java plugin - think this is the link:-
https://sdlcweb1a.sun.com/ECom/EComActionServlet;jsessionid=sdlcweb1a.sun.com-1ef72%3A413064a4%3A1e7148ae924f1
hope this helps
pter

Collapse -

larry i have cable some sites take time no matter what.
throw away that timer and enjoy surfing now this will take 4 seconds or 7 seconds oe 8 no matter

Collapse -
Thanks, but that is not the problem

In reply to: Re: 21 seconds to Yahoo and 0.347 seconds to Kelly's site?

In the first post, I referred to an ePrompter problem where I can not get Yahoo mail. One suggestion was to check the time it took to get to Yahoo, and maybe it was so long that it timed out. When I checked I learned that it took 21 seconds. If this is not abnormal behaviour, then might anyone else have a clue as to why I can't access Yahoo form ePrompter?

Collapse -
Re: Thanks, but that is not the problem

In reply to: Thanks, but that is not the problem

Collapse -
"How many angels can sit on the head of a pin"

Lary D.

The simple answer would be the number of people that visit Karens.com site as does those who visit Yahoo. How many actual visitors can Yahoo accommodate, that is how many simultaneous connections can yahoo provide before it places your request in a que? Even my dial up connects to Karen. com in two seconds while I must wait almost 60 seconds for a Yahoo connection. Millions Vs Tens.

Norm

Collapse -
Thanks but that isn't the issue

In reply to: "How many angels can sit on the head of a pin"

It is a time out issue with ePrompter

Collapse -
Re: 21 seconds to Yahoo

try pinging 216.109.127.60 (mail.yahoo.com)

my average for 4 packets is 170ms

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.