Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Question

2016 or 2017 AntiVirus?

Good evening.

I see both 2016 and 2017 AntiVirus programs are available for purchase. The 2016 is considerably cheaper than 2017 on Amazon. What will I miss if I buy 2016?

Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 2016 or 2017 AntiVirus?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 2016 or 2017 AntiVirus?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
How about some details.

In reply to: 2016 or 2017 AntiVirus?

Machine, OS, and which AV?
Dafydd.

Collapse -
All AntiVirus for All Machines

In reply to: How about some details.

I'm asking about AVs in general because they have always been sold like this. I have several computers with different operating systems and am wondering why I should pay more for 2017 version when 2016 is good for a year and includes updates.

Thank you.

Collapse -
We Still Need Specifics From You, Because....

In reply to: All AntiVirus for All Machines

"All Antivirus for All Machines" gets you only one answer. There is no such thing. We ask for that information for a reason. All antiviruses aren't the same as to how they change from year to year and "ALL machines" includes everything back to some old version of Windows to Linux, or more. An older version of an AV might be the best choice on one machine with an older operating system while the newer version might be needed on the newer, faster Windows 10 model.

Certain antivirus programs aren't compatible with certain older operating systems and need specific computer specs (think processor speed and RAM) to actually work correctly. (Therefore the operating system, amount of RAM, etc. are needed to make an accurate suggestion to you.)

In addition, some antiviruses don't matter as to the actual year/model you purchase because they automatically update to the latest version, no matter which one you buy. On the other hand, some new antivirus program versions aren't like that at all as they include new features, such as a new interface, new scan engine technology, or antispyware properties, etc.

So all of that information from you is indeed important.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Post was last edited on October 9, 2016 7:16 PM PDT

Collapse -
You know, this made me think about Avast for Android.

In reply to: We Still Need Specifics From You, Because....

I can't find the article but it was comparing Avast's Antivirus for Android to SoftRAM95.

In an attempt to get onto all platforms it appears that some AntiVirus suites have an app for all OSes even if they do nothing.

Collapse -
I Have All But Win10

In reply to: We Still Need Specifics From You, Because....

I have WinXP, WinVista, Win7, and Win8. I need a different AV for each one? The license for the AVs at our local store are for up to 5 devices and the box says it covers all of them.

Collapse -
Xp

In reply to: I Have All But Win10

Collapse -
Maybe.

Collapse -
Yep, Since XP Is No Longer Supported by Microsoft...

...many of the 2017 AV companies will stop their support as well. You'll need to check all your preferred AV versions to know for sure.

As an example, like some of the others posted here, at this moment in time, I prefer some of the free antivirus versions like Avast and Avira. (Check their detection stats at some of the test sites, such as AV-Comparitives.) Unfortunately, the Avira system requirements no longer include Windows XP....but Avast system requirements do because it's still using a 2016 model..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: Avira

In reply to: Yep, Since XP Is No Longer Supported by Microsoft...

Avira antivirus (free version) still runs fine on my XP SP3 PC. It just updated to the latest virus signatures, says that all services are working and I'm fully protected.

That doesn't mean, of course, that it will still install in XP, but it certainly runs perfectly.

Collapse -
Great ! I Use Avira On Most My PCs, But....

In reply to: Re: Avira

..since their system requirements no longer indicate XP, I thought I'd post that. Much like you, I ran Avira on all my XP machines, but I no longer have any XP machines to test it with..

Thanks.

Grif

Post was last edited on October 10, 2016 7:48 PM PDT

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.