Question

2014 Hyundai Elantra GL 1.8L car stalls while driving slowly

Apr 14, 2018 9:44AM PDT

My car has been stalling when I am driving slowly but only after the car has been running for a few minutes. It seems to run well as long as I keep the rpms up (around 1500-2000). It also does not stall when in Park. There is a slight ticking sound coming from the engine that increases as I press on the gas. I am far from a dealer at the moment so I have to wait a few weeks before I can bring it in. Just hoping to get a few ideas of what to prepare myself for. thanks!

Discussion is locked

Answer
Follow
Reply to: 2014 Hyundai Elantra GL 1.8L car stalls while driving slowly
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: 2014 Hyundai Elantra GL 1.8L car stalls while driving slowly
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
You need to diagnose the issue properly
May 1, 2018 7:06AM PDT

I'll advise you scan the engine with an OBDII EOBD device as this issue can be caused by a number of reasons such as faulty IAT valve, stuck open EGR valve, malfunctioning O2 sensor, bad MAF sensor, bad fuel pump, clogged fuel injectors, bad transmission torque converter or faulty TCS and of course wiring issues.

- Collapse -
Not much value
Jan 29, 2019 7:13AM PST

It always seems to be get the skilled technicians to a veritable Encyclopedia of possibilities to every problem. The fact is that this particular issue when usually not be diagnosed by code. The issue is generally shown to be caused by a crankshaft angle sensor and in a couple of cases a cracked throttle body. I'm sure that the dealer was able to isolate which was the cause but EOBD won't help. BTW this is a know issue with certain Hyundai's and it's relatively easy to garner the information from a munber of auto-issue sites.

- Collapse -
I'm running into those
Jan 29, 2019 2:31PM PST

That hate these code scanners. While some issues are machine specific I'd learned to never skip getting a code reading. It's why I added a reader to my tool box.

- Collapse -
Answer
You need to diagnose the issue properly
May 1, 2018 7:07AM PDT

I'll advise you scan the engine with an OBDII EOBD device as this issue can be caused by a number of reasons such as faulty IAT valve, stuck open EGR valve, malfunctioning O2 sensor, bad MAF sensor, bad fuel pump, clogged fuel injectors, bad transmission torque converter or faulty TCS and of course wiring issues.

- Collapse -
Answer
2015 Elantra stalling
Sep 15, 2019 9:46AM PDT

Had a 2015 Hyundai Elantra under 53k miles stalls at times when coming to stop or making a turn had it check a few times no trouble codes would be store or read after replacing crank sensor problem continue, I decide to change the variable timing sensor on the exhaust & intake side along with the engine oil, it’s been 3 weeks now with lots of driving with no more stalling ?

- Collapse -
2015 elantra cutting off while driving
Jan 15, 2020 8:40AM PST

I am having this same issue. I’m not under warranty anymore. Can you give me some more helpful info?

- Collapse -
Answer
stalling and not starting
Nov 1, 2019 8:08AM PDT

Had similar problem with 2015 elantra. compressor was failing and locked up causing vehicle to stall and not restart. ticking noise in engine compartment might be from ac compressor going bad.

CNET Forums

Forum Info