Mac Hardware forum

Question

2012 MacBook Pro or 2015 MacBook Pro with Retina Display

I am looking to buy a MacBook Pro 13 inches, and Best Buy (Sacramento, CA) has a deal for 2012 MacBook Pros. I am wondering which to buy.
What I use it for: scholarly research, web browsing, itunes, watch videos on Netflix and online. There is no graphic/art or gaming needs. I also don't download any app unless I need them and I can't get them on my phone.
What I hope to have: fairly good battery (7 hours for 2012 seems to be good enough), fairly fast system (old pc was 2.27GHz and I was fairly satisfied), storage as large as possible, and the expectation that I can still use it as long as possible. I know MacBook Pros are legendary for quality and long lasting, but better RAM and processor may mean it can run "normal" longer.

Specs for the MacBooks:

2012 MacBook Pro:
Intel Core i5 Processor, Intel HD 4000 Graphics, 5400 rpm SATA hard drive, up to 7 hours of battery life, 802.11 n wi-fi, multi-touch trackpads.
Processor speed 2.5 GHz, Memory 4GB, Storage 500 GB.

2015 MacBook Pro with Retina Display, 256 GB:
Intel Core i5 Processor, Intel Iris Graphics 6100, Flash storage, up to 10 hours of battery life, 802.11 ac wi-fi, force touch trackpad.
Processor speed 2.7GHz, Memory 8GB, Storage 256GB

I saw them side by side and nothing in the weight/display or anything else concerns me.

NOTE:
Please also consider that, with a much larger storage in the previous model, the MacBook speed gap is a bit less than what the specs may suggest, and the question is, does the 4GB extra Memory and 0.2 extra GHz still make a significant difference even if the older model has 244GB more storage space?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 2012 MacBook Pro or 2015 MacBook Pro with Retina Display
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 2012 MacBook Pro or 2015 MacBook Pro with Retina Display
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
The actual speed gap is the size of the Grand Canyon.

In reply to: 2012 MacBook Pro or 2015 MacBook Pro with Retina Display

The first is your plain old HDD and the second is SSD. PLUS ONE for 256GB over the 128.

The next issue is the first machine is a little low on RAM. Yes it may work but folk today expect so much more.

The final issue is the old laptop is just that. Old. Laptops, even Apples do age and for the money I want a huge discount for such an old laptop. Figure 200 bucks?

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: The actual speed gap is the size of the Grand Canyon.

Thanks, $1100, what I like most is it has 500GB of storage. Ill get a 256 GB flash drive then.

Collapse -
If this was mine, I'd delay on the USB drive.

In reply to: Thanks

Collapse -
Answer
Advantages of the Mid 2012 MacBook Pro 13

In reply to: 2012 MacBook Pro or 2015 MacBook Pro with Retina Display

The Mid 2012 MacBook Pro 13 has several advantages:

- Ram upgrade from 4GB to 16GB (user friendly)
- HDD can be upgraded to SSD for more speed
- Optical drive can be replaced by another HDD for additional storage.
- Parts are cheaper and widely available if something goes wrong
- LCD on the retina breaks very easily and costs almost $500 to replace vs Mid 2012 is only
about $240

Link removed by Mod

Post was last edited on February 15, 2016 12:52 PM PST

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.