Auto Repair - Roadshow forum

Question

2006 Toyota Rav4 Check engine, traction control & VSC on

I am having trouble with my 2006 Toyota Rav4 V6 with 3.5L engine and I believe it is a base model with a third row. Suddenly the check engine light, traction control, and VSC lights all popped on at once. I had my alternator, serpentine belt, water pump, engine coil P0355, and gas cap replaced but all three lights are still on. Today as I was driving with all three lights still on, the check engine light began to start flashing incessantly then my car started shaking as I stepped on my brakes and was lagging to speed up as I stepped on the gas. Any ideas on whats going on? I have already spent quite a bit of money attempting to fix this problem but it seems to be getting worse, any ideas are appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 2006 Toyota Rav4 Check engine, traction control & VSC on
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 2006 Toyota Rav4 Check engine, traction control & VSC on
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I think this is a story about finding a great shop.

In reply to: 2006 Toyota Rav4 Check engine, traction control & VSC on

To me this may be some electrical fault, but where? Ask the shop to get the OBD readings too. The lights are usually from some central computer board but you would have to have the service manual to know this.

For me, I have shops that do great work but not the lowest price. I know folk that shop around and that's a fine idea but you get the idea here. You need a shop that can fix this.

Collapse -
Answer
Rav4

In reply to: 2006 Toyota Rav4 Check engine, traction control & VSC on

Hi, Courtney; This symptom rings a bell, but I just can't remember (I'm old). But, the flashing check engine light tells you that 'something' bad is wrong and can damage the catalytic converter. Did you have all of the coils replaced? Could be another coil or the one replaced could be defective. As far as the trac. control and VSC, could be a faulty wheel speed sensor. You'll need to have the codes in the computer read. Most auto part stores will do this for free. If you would reply with the codes, I can tell you what they are 'saying'.
Good luck.
Loren

Collapse -
Code P0355

In reply to: Rav4

I have yet to have all the engine coils replaced because the engine code that kept popping up was P0355 and only replaced that one. I am hesitant to replace all the coils just based on price since I have 6 coils and each costs around $95. The only codes that are currently popping up is engine coil P0355.

Collapse -
Coils

In reply to: Code P0355

Hi, Courtney; ASSUMING they replaced the correct coil, then I'd have to guess that it's defective.
It isn't uncommon to get defective electrical parts. The labor involved replacing the coils is what is expensive, but in your case, it should be still under warranty at the shop where it was installed. #5 cylinder is the back one on the passenger side of the vehicle. In the old days, even number cylinders were (mostly) on the pass. side, with #1 being the front one on the driver's side. So, it is possible a mistake was made?
Good luck.
Loren

Collapse -
Hmm

In reply to: Coils

I’m thinking you’re right! I watched the machanic put the coil in and he placed it in the first coil in the front row on the drivers side...

Collapse -
check fuses that go to the coils

In reply to: Code P0355

Condition reminds me of older cars when their ballast resistor would fail.

Collapse -
Ballast

In reply to: check fuses that go to the coils

Ballast resistors were used to lower the voltage going to the points. Some GMs had single, Chrys. products had dual. Bad ballast resistor, no power to the points, no start. Replaced a lot, over the years, mostly Chrysler products. Happy

Collapse -
Yep

In reply to: Ballast

That's right, I forgot. Wasn't there an ignition resistor wire going to the coil too?

Collapse -
Connection

In reply to: check fuses that go to the coils

I’d the coil was placed in the proper spot then it must be the fuse connection. Otherwise I don’t know what else would be causing these problems

Collapse -
Connection

In reply to: Connection

Hi, Courtney; I'm hesitant to think computer, but the PCM does have 'drivers' for the coils.
This would required an qualified tech to diagnose. I really don't think that is what's going on here. You mentioned that you watched the tech install in one of the front cylinders? Those would be either #1 or #2, not #5. As you see, #5 is at the rear, pass. side.
5 6
3 4
1 2
front of car
Loren

Collapse -
Isn't this a transverse engine?

In reply to: Connection

If so, #5 would be driver side and on firewall side. I also remember straight line engines having following pattern, since I always had to use #1 front spark wire for setting with timing light and that on driver's side.

8 7 driver side
6 5
4 3
2 1
front of engine

Collapse -
Problem fixed

In reply to: Isn't this a transverse engine?

The coil was placed in the wrong spot after all. Thank you for all your responses, it ultimately helped me figure the problem out. Luckily my car is running like a champ now after figuring out which coil was which.

Collapse -
Rav4

In reply to: Problem fixed

Hi, Courtney; That's great news. Did they fix the problem for free?
Also, what about the trac control and VSC issue?
Have a great weekend.
Loren

Collapse -
Lights are off

In reply to: Rav4

Yes, it was fixed for free.
The traction control and vsc lights were related with the ignition coil because once it was replaced (properly) all threw lights turned off automatically

Collapse -
correction

#5 would be driver side and on firewall side.

should be

#5 would be driver side and on radiator/car front/bumper side.
Collapse -
Firing order

Hi, James; NORMALLY, yes. But there have been exceptions. Cadillacs, in the day, had #1 on the pass. side. Fords have always been #1 on the pass. side. Mitchell data is showing that the Rav4 #1 is on the right bank, regardless of transverse engine or not.
I know, things aren't the way they used to be. Can be very difficult trying to keep up with all of the changes. aaaarrrrggghhh. Also, used to be that you could look to see which cylinder head was further forward, indicating where #1 is. No longer. Can't assume anything any more. Hard for us old pharts. LOL.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.