Question

2006 Renault Grand Scenic Clutch issue

This is for a 06 Grand Scenic, Diesel, 1.6l, manual.

Have had car for about 4 years with no clutch issues until now.

Yesterday, suddenly, clutch pedal intermittently became floppy and started staying at the floor (when car was cold and warm). I was able to 'pull' clutch pedal up with toes and it became more usable for a while and then end up back at the floor. Now, today, it is worse and needed RAC call out to tow. The dash was bleeping up with 'STOP'/'Braking Fault'. I can't engage gears at all now. RAC towed me but wasn't sure what it was specifically.

A couple of times, as it has an electronic handbrake, it was struggling to pull away/disengage the brake.

The RAC guy says it *could* be a worn clutch and cost between 400-700, but can they really go that quickly? Garage I phoned said it could be slave cylinder, which they said would cost £1000+. I couldn't see any patches of fluid on the floor at home where it's stayed for a few hours.

Any ideas? I'll keep this thread going after I've got it diagnosed and fixed but we're trying to work out where to get it towed to and if it's worth it.

Thanks!

--- Addition:

By the way, when you lift the pedal up and press back on it, you do have some resistance but after repeated/prolonged use it ends up going back to the floor, which is why I think the RAC mechanic suggested it could be the clutch instead of hydraulics?

Post was last edited on March 13, 2018 11:47 AM PDT

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: 2006 Renault Grand Scenic Clutch issue
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: 2006 Renault Grand Scenic Clutch issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Did you try the simplest thing it could be?

I don't have access to manuals for that model but if it is the usual hydraulic clutch did you check the fluid level?

As to going quickly, yes. One day it works and the next some seal is blown out. It can leak internally so no fluid would be on the ground.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hydraulic+clutch+working+animation gives you an overview of how this works.

My thought is not the clutch itself but either the master or slave cylinder at fault.

- Collapse -
Fluid level was checked

Yes, I checked the fluid level before it went completely. It's really hard to see the min/max levels but pushing the car down, I could see it sloshing around. I topped it up anyway (and may have spilt some around the reservoir as we had to use a plastic coke bottle as a make-shift funnel as it was so awkward). It was still playing up after topping it up and then stalled as I couldn't get it out of gear.

- Collapse -
Answer
OK, it appears to be a common problem.

CNET Forums

Forum Info