Auto Repair - Roadshow forum

Question

2006 Jeep Commander 5.7 no heat and foggy windows

Hello I have a 2006 Jeep commander hemi 5.7 and lately I been having to add anti freeze due to when the anti freeze runs out the engine will sound louder when idle. Now the front passengers and front windshield fogs up and really hard to clear that up, and now no heat. The guy in advance auto told me this is the heating coil gone bad, so I really don't want to take this to the dealer so I been looking into smaller shops and mechanics but my questions is does this sound like the heating coil and should this job cost 500 for the labor ? I am not sure what to do, and today the engine light and electronic throttle control ETC light came on so I parked it. Any suggestions

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 2006 Jeep Commander 5.7 no heat and foggy windows
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 2006 Jeep Commander 5.7 no heat and foggy windows
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
There are videos about the ETC system.

In reply to: 2006 Jeep Commander 5.7 no heat and foggy windows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKR6oqKPO1Q

This leads to other videos about this.

As to labor, that sounds like a many hour job and parts. Has this old car been given a flush and maybe new pump and thermostat? Has the leak been found yet and cured?
Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: There are videos about the ETC system.

Thanks for answering, no I have not had a mechanic look over it yet. Really trying to save a bit of money on the diagnostic fees by taking to to a smaller shop or one of these mobile repair guys. After speaking to a few people they are telling me it has to be the heating coil since the windows are fogging up and I have to keep adding anti freeze, and no heat in the car.

Collapse -
While I do agree

In reply to: Thanks

I wonder if a flush could help here. But if there is a leak, that needs fixing too. The flush is as you guess is an attempt to clean out the system and maybe unclog the heating unit.

But I find many folk get down the road after 100K+ miles and never flushed the system.

There are two thoughts on this. Try a cheaper thing like the flush or just go ahead with the new heater core. But to put in that new core the mechanic should insist on a flush to remove what could have clogged the old core.

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: While I do agree

Is the flush something I could do my self? and the truck not heating is that a sign the heating coil is bad? I am willing to try the flush myself or I will ask the mechanic to to do the flush first but my concerns is if he does that he will charge for that too even if it doesn't fix the problem...

Collapse -
Debatable.

In reply to: Thanks

You can watch YouTubes on this and decide. A shop would have a nice machine to do the job. More power....

My thought is even if the flush didn't fix it, you're going to get it flushed and the leak fixed if you get a new heater core. You know why.

Collapse -
Flush

In reply to: Debatable.

why if I get a new heater coil it will definitely fix the leak problem?

Collapse -
Unsure how we can state that.

In reply to: Flush

If you know the leak is there, then yes. But I didn't catch that above.

Collapse -
Leak

In reply to: Unsure how we can state that.

Me having to add anti freeze to the system, does that mean it a leak or if the system is clogged would it loose anti freeze too?

Collapse -
It means

In reply to: Leak

It's likely clogged and leaking. At this point you have to choose your battle. I think the flush is unavoidable if you were to replace the heater core and if the fluid is too low you have many other problems.

Anyhow, Since the flush is unavoidable as well as fixing the leak, tackle those first.

Collapse -
Heater core, not "coil"

In reply to: Flush

It's a small radiator inside the cab that gets air blown past it to take heat from the antifreeze flowing through it which was warmed in the engine. If there's no antifreeze going through due to low fluid, there's no heat. FIX THE LEAK!

Collapse -
Answer
Heater core

In reply to: 2006 Jeep Commander 5.7 no heat and foggy windows

Hi, Vic; The Mitchell manual calls for 6.1 hrs. labor to replace the heater core. The dashboard will have to be removed to gain access. If the A/C has to be breached in the process, then you will looking at another $150-$200 to evacuate and recharge the system. As all of the others have said, first step will be to find the origin of the leak and repair it. Good luck.
Loren

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.