Auto Repair - Roadshow forum

Question

2005 Mitsubishi Lancer

Is a 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer ralliart edition a good car to buy ? Son wants to buy one with 170,000 miles that has a new timing belt,new head,new head gasket set,automatic 2.4L engine. Need opinion on this brand and model I am not familiar with. My gut feeling tells me he is buying trouble.
Would appreciate any mechanics input. I am familiar with Honda,Toyota
and Chevrolet,since I have owned all 3 before. Please reply ASAP !

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Just my opinion but I'd be hesitant

In reply to: 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer

to buy anything of that age and mileage and expect it to be reliable for very long. So many things can go wrong with such as brake systems, cooling systems, etc. If he hope is to pay for little more than gasoline, it's quite a gamble. I, too, have had good luck with Toyota and Honda. The one we got for our kids to use for school was a Corolla that I bought from a dealer in 2005. My daughter still drives it with 125K on it. It's had no breakdowns at all but I make sure she takes care of it. But even at 125K, I think it's time to be on the lookout for a replacement before such things as exhaust, brake systems or engine problems develop. Eventually, these all become money pits.

Collapse -
Answer
Lancer

In my humble opinion, I'd RUN away from it. When these were new, they were very fast for their class.
And, also driven very hard by the owners. For that reason alone, I'd never buy a used import, especially one with that many miles. Again, just my 45yrs. mechanic opinion.
Good luck.
Loren

Collapse -
Answer
Avoid.

Unless it's working and cheap I'd avoid due to what happened a few years later.

I don't know the price so maybe it's a firesale and that's what you are getting into.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.