Question

2005 GMC Jimmy Muffler Issue

Hello,

I have a 2005 GMC Jimmy (200,000 KMs) that has been making noise when driving. The noise is not preset when sitting idle and only occurs when the gas pedal is pushed down to drive. It's not a specific noise, the general sound that the vehicle makes is just amplified when leaving idle and starting to drive. I apologize that that analysis isn't too technical. I've looked into some other threads with people posting about similar issues and saw frequent reference to there being a possible problem with the muffler.

I went under the vehicle and took some pictures. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if this area in my pictures looks like a potential problem that could be causing this.

Link to pictures:

https://imgur.com/a/R4UUs

As well as a Youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwFYXAA8mgQ&feature=youtu.be

I hope this is the best way to post pictures/video.

As you can see in the video and the pictures, the bolt (if that's what it is?) is rusted away on the top side and the top side appears separated when compared to the bottom side.

Thank you for any assistance!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: 2005 GMC Jimmy Muffler Issue
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: 2005 GMC Jimmy Muffler Issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Exhaust?

The Flying Penguin? LOL.
If you are hearing an exhaust leak, then yes, it could be coming from there. It is common to see rust at those connectors. Your engine/emissions system creates water during the combustion cycle. But, without hearing the noise, I'm just guessing. Should get it up on a lift and listen for a leak.
Good luck.
Loren

- Collapse -
Answer
My opinion, leaks are worth fixing. Why?

Keeping the exhaust going to the back is very important. Leaks before that point could lead to carbon monoxide build up in the cabin with bad effects from headaches, passing out and worse.

This is right up there with fuel leaks in my opinion.

Note: Edited title for grammar.

Post was last edited on March 14, 2018 5:01 PM PDT

- Collapse -
Answer
measure the hole opening

Go to ACE or local hardware store. Get a grade 8 bolt with the same width shank as hole opening, long enough, washers, and nut. Bolt it down tight, see if that stops it.

- Collapse -
Follow up

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Would it be a good or silly idea to try to replace the bolt at the top to see if it would seal it up AND to fill in any remaining opening with muffler putty? I apologize if that's a stupid idea! I'm not the best at this stuff, just looking for a cheap way to fix it. I was just wondering since the bottom part looks like it's bolted and sealed up with something.

- Collapse -
Exhaust

Hi, Penguin; There is (or was) a gasket between the two flanges. Most any parts stores should have one. As James suggested, I'd replace the bolts when you do so. Spray the existing bolts down (when the exhaust is cool) with penetrant, but they still may break during removal.
Good luck.
Loren

CNET Forums