Mac Applications forum

General discussion

2004 Mac Power PC Dual Core 2gh installing and formatting

by thewhipper / October 11, 2008 11:57 PM PDT

My hard drive died so I purchased 2 - 500 G Seagate hard drives - 3.5 7200.11. I have put them in the machine and now I need help formatting them and putting the OS 10.5.4 leopard on them. Actually I would like to use one as a storage drive.

First thing I noticed is that I can't get the optical drive open - usually that is opened on the keyboard. So how can I incert a disc? Is there something else I need to do first?

2nd thing I noticed is that the drives started spinning faster and faster (and louder and louder) as if it were going to explode at some point. So I thought I'd ask for help since I don't realy know what I am doing... Happy

I hope you can help me get my computer up and running.
Sandy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 2004 Mac Power PC Dual Core 2gh installing and formatting
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 2004 Mac Power PC Dual Core 2gh installing and formatting
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Installing Drives
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 12, 2008 2:04 AM PDT

First, you do not have a Power PC Dual Core 2Ghz machine.

It would help if you could tell us what version of the PM G4 you have.

You can find that information Here and Here

I doubt that it is your hard drives that are making all that noise and I suspect that you have a PMG4 MDD (mirrored doors) as this is typical of that series when the power supply goes bad.
The noise you hear are the cooling fans running up to max speed.
If you have a PM G4 MDD, be aware that the power supply for this machine is EXPENSIVE!!

As your G4 is not actually booting, it will never reach a point where the keyboard input is recognized.

P

Collapse -
I have a 2004 G5
by thewhipper / October 12, 2008 2:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Installing Drives

I have a 2004 G5 - sorry, I forgot to mention it and it does have dual- core 2GHz processor

Collapse -
Still not Dual Core but
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 12, 2008 8:35 AM PDT
In reply to: I have a 2004 G5

Dual processors. Subtle difference.

There is nothing in that machine that would make the HD(s) spin so fast they would make a noise like they were going to explode.
The noise is the fans. Did you have the side door open when you heard this noise?

Next time you boot the machine, or try to, hold down the mouse button. The Optical drive should eject and you will be able to put the installation disk in there.

Once you have done that, do to disk utility and initialize the drive as HFS+ (Journaled) or Mac OS Extended (Journaled), whichever is offered.
Once done, reboot and install OS X onto whichever drive you want

Let us know how you get on

P

Collapse -
Still not dual core
by thewhipper / October 13, 2008 1:00 AM PDT

Actually I figured everything out - there are 2 ports on the back - I had it plugged into the wrong one. It is running very quietly now.
I did figure out how to open the cd tray and I formatted the drives and installed Leopard. Everything is running great and I'm a happy camper now. I'll be installing my other software today.
I will certainly turn to you if I encounter anything else.

Thanks for everything!
Sandy

Collapse -
Glad you got it going
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 13, 2008 1:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Still not dual core

enjoy

P

Collapse -
Wikipedia
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 12, 2008 2:16 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.