Question

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Huge Leak

I need help figuring out what is wrong with my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. It has had leaking issues for awhile, and has been parked for a bit. I replaced the water pump which definitely was bad, but there seems to be another large leak aside from that.

After I fill the radiator with anything, water or coolant, after about 5 seconds everything I poured in will just empty out under the vehicle. Like, right below where the dash would be or so in the middle underneath, location wise. This is happening without it running. Just leaks 5 seconds after radiator is filled. What is wrong with it?

Discussion is locked
Answer
Follow
Reply to: 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Huge Leak
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Huge Leak
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
04 Jeep

It's a 4.0l.

- Collapse -
Answer
For this one, you find the leak. But how?

One of my best new things is in a link to follow. This scope lets me see where I couldn't see before. I already had lights I could illuminate the inspection area but there's only so many areas I could see. This item fixed that.

Look at https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CL1QUCW/

- Collapse -
Answer
leaking freeze plug

There are one or two freeze plugs at rear of engine. If you don't have enough space to remove the old one, what I've done is cut a window into the floor, usually behind the accelerator pedal if on the driver's side, on "V" engines there's one on the passenger side too. Easiest fix if you can get the old freeze plug knocked out is an expandable rubber freeze plug. They look like this. The rubber part should be small enough to enter the hole and the back plate with the nut on it should be large enough to cover the entire hole.

Video shows one being installed in a head freeze plug hole.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCKtOAzmiQs

Here's a video doing that on YOUR type vehicle and engine.

- Collapse -
I think you are right

Here's a picture I took from underneath with my phone.
https://ibb.co/fK4u8K

Looks like a freeze plug I think. I saw a steady stream leak from right under that point, like I said, about 5 seconds after pouring some water in radiator to check. There is also another leak a little further to the right as well, that also leaks a steady stream. So, multiple freeze plugs need replaced?

- Collapse -
Yes, that's it

They are very hard to do when no room between firewall and engine rear. Either engine is raised which is a big job, or cut firewall from inside where the plugs are, replace them, then weld or braze the metal back afterwards. At least the rubber plugs won't rust.

CNET Forums