General discussion

2002 grand cherokee hard to start

I have a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited with a 4.7 L, 70,000 miles on it. It has been hard starting after it sits for 1 to 8 hours. I have to stay on the key for about 5 seconds or push the accelerator pedal to the bottom to start in about 3 seconds. If I try to start it after half an hour or leave the car overnight, it starts fine however, in every start, it always smells raw gas. I put new plugs, fuel pump, fuel filter, battery and still have the problem. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: 2002 grand cherokee hard to start
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: 2002 grand cherokee hard to start
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
2002 jeep grand cherokee 4.7

I have the exact same problem.. did you ever figure out what the problem was?

any help would be great
Thanks

- Collapse -
2002 grand cherokee hard to start

this could be an alternator problem. Same problem on the new explorers. You probably dont drive alot of miles per day for the battery would be dead already. But if you do drive alot of miles each day then the problem may not be the alternator.

CNET Forums