Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

2000 upgrade probs

by deane / March 3, 2005 8:58 PM PST

I have tried to upgrade from win98 to 2000pro but the screen freezes on:Performing Final tasks, the upgrades program and system settings.
I wish id never started, is there any way i can go back to 98 now? It boots on win2000 then carries on the setup and freezes again. Please help as my girlfriend has all her Uni work on the pc! Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 2000 upgrade probs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 2000 upgrade probs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Are USB things unplugged?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2005 9:13 PM PST
In reply to: 2000 upgrade probs

A common issue...

And you omitted all detail that I could use to help you.

If the Forum Tip is not showing, PLEASE REPORT IT!!!!

It reads -> Tip: If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution.

Bob

Collapse -
yes
by deane / March 3, 2005 9:37 PM PST

All usb have been unplugged, o/s was win98 2nd edition, have 1.2gb athlon processor, 256 ram, 40gb hd.

Cannot think of any reasons and people i have asked cant either, is there anyway I can return to win98 and cancel all installation?

Collapse -
I'd install it again.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2005 9:49 PM PST
In reply to: yes

It's a more stable OS and if you took the upgrade path it's a one way street. Unless you pull up the 98 CD and begin to install that.

Again, all the details are missing for me to figure out why the 2000 install hangs up.

Your choice to share or not.

Bob

Collapse -
THANKS
by deane / March 3, 2005 10:10 PM PST
In reply to: I'd install it again.

Not too sure if this helps the only problem it seems to have is that it says on the cd that file d:\I386\msadce.dl_

Collapse -
Did you hit send before finishing the message?
by alixtcat / March 3, 2005 10:16 PM PST
In reply to: THANKS

Your message ended before you said anything. Please enter all pertinant information before hitting Preveiw Message.

it says on the cd that file d:\I386\msadce.dl_ What?

Is there some reason you are upgrading to W2K instead of WXP? W2K is a little old.

Please respond with information regarding the issue at hand and we'll try to help you the best we can.

Have you tried running the installation again? Did you select to upgrade from W98 2nd Edition when upgrading?

Collapse -
signature
by deane / March 3, 2005 10:33 PM PST

Sorry, it said Signature not found on the file mentioned (d:\i386\msadce.dl_)
After stalling for about 20mins it reboots and goes through the same processes until freezing again and going through the same process.
The installation automatically runs every time the pc is switched on, around 8 times now. I did select to upgrade from win98 second edition.

Collapse -
Is your problem solved? - same problem here
by MPountley / March 23, 2005 12:37 PM PST
In reply to: signature

Hi,
I just wanted to check to see if you got an answer to this.
I am having the same problem with one of my machines and Google'd to find the answer but found your query.

If you have any more information, I would like to hear it.

Regards,
Mark

Collapse -
That's a clue...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2005 4:49 AM PST
In reply to: THANKS
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!