Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

2000 to XP

My HP laptop hit the deck and has been destroyed. [getting over it], so my question is:

Can I use the original XP pro disc, HP LAPTOP, to upgrade my older Dell desktop to XP pro from it's current 2000 Pro? I mean I paid for and own the XP disc, so that part isn't an issue for me especially since I won't be using it on two machines. The question is will the HP [laptop]disc actually work as a install / reformatting tool for my desktop Dell?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 2000 to XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 2000 to XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Um..........no, well...........no. LOL

In reply to: 2000 to XP

I theory, yes it can be done, but here's the thing, recovery disks are programmed and designed by the menufacturer with all of the extras be it UMWOS useless manufacturer waste of space (I'm trying to get that acronym to catch on can you tell? LOL) or drivers for the various devices installed in the laptop. It seems to me the last time I handled an HP the disks may have had a separate disk for the O/S only and I noticed this because I was impressed that they'd done that. If that was the case, then yes by all means, if the cd only contains the original O/S. You can see though that doing a ''manufacturers restore'' on the entire system will be disasterous. The restore program will try to install drivers for devices that aren't there, programs to run the devices that aren't there.... etc. Let me know what disks you have and their labels and we'll go from there. P.S. E-mail me with an e-mail address through the forum and we can discuss ways to properly accomplish your goal if you like. Happy

Collapse -
XP OS on seperate CD

In reply to: Um..........no, well...........no. LOL

Hey Platinum,

Sorry it took so long to get back. Yes in fact the OS CD is seperate onto itself. In fact at one point I had to reformat the laptop and the Os obviously went first and then I had to address some of the HP drivers off of other CDs, driver recovery CD, there is also an application recovery CD but Idon't recall using that one.....long answer.........

So...........this means I can indeed reformat my Dell desktop with the XP OS CD?

Collapse -
No and unlikely.

In reply to: 2000 to XP

That HP XP CD is not a "bought and paid for" (in your definition) XP license such as you recieve in the full up retail Microsoft XP BOX.

This may cause some to burst into flames that 99% of the machines such as HP and other don't come with the full licensed OS but some other and other agreement.

"The question is will the HP [laptop]disc actually work as a install / reformatting tool for my desktop Dell?"

It is highly unlikely this will work.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.