PC Hardware forum

General discussion

200 gig sata hdd will my bios support

by qwerty68 / November 4, 2005 7:51 PM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 200 gig sata hdd will my bios support
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 200 gig sata hdd will my bios support
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Read the instructions
by TONI H / November 4, 2005 8:52 PM PST

in your motherboard manual or on the motherboard cd to see how to install the drivers for the SATA drive first.

You normally have to have a 'setup' set of instructions on a floppy disk so the system can tell that the bios will have that feature enabled (go into the bios and enable it there, and if the drive will be the boot drive, make sure you set that in the boot sequence as well).

Once you have that part done, you will have to use the mo-bo cd to install the drivers for windows after you reach the desktop. You can also download the newest drivers for the SATA for windows at the motherboard download area for your board model number but normally the ones on the cd will suffice until you decide to get updated drivers later.

More than likely your mo-bo bios already supports a drive that large, and if you are using Windows XP it shouldn't be a problem there either as long as the drive is formatted for NTFS using XP's cd for the installation....if you format it as FAT32, XP will only see the first 32GB of the drive and ignore the rest of it, so you will have to then use the W98SE Fdisk to set up the drive instead and cut the drive into two partitions of 127GB for one and the balance for the second partition or equal parts of 100GB each (more or less). Just make sure you say yes to 'large disk support' at the FDisk first screen that shows up if you go that route.

The only time I upgrade the bios to a newer version is if there is a definite up side to doing it, and if you read at the mo-bo site about newer bios versions for your board, try to find out exactly what the new version is going to offer you that you don't already have and want or need. Most times your manual will also tell you what support you already have with it so it makes it easy to decide if you want to update it.

TONI

Collapse -
If your mobo has SATA ports
by Ray Harinec / November 4, 2005 10:52 PM PST

Why not simply try it? No need to mount the drive, just plug it in while it is laying by the computer.

BTW, in some systems the BIOS settings for the SATA drives can be somewhat confusing, depending what chipset or chip is controlling it.

RTFM carefully, the pidgen english can make it worse.

Re terminology, note that a SATA drive is also an IDE drive, some BIOSes show them as IDE.

Collapse -
Did you get the SATA install manual with
by Ray Harinec / November 4, 2005 10:57 PM PST

the mobo? If not, download it from the link that you gave under manual, the SATA is a separater little manual.

Collapse -
OS support
by linkit / November 5, 2005 4:11 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?