General discussion

2 separate families & 2 separate networks in one home.....

we have 2 families sharing 1 home. we have 1 cable modem & 2 routers. for over a year we had them setup as 2 completely separate networks each using their own router & password. 1 family accessed their network & 'net thru their own router & the other family connected thru their own router. there was no conflict & neither network could access the other. each family did their own thing as if the 1 household were actually 2 homes next door to each other.

there was some painting done in the home & all the computers, routers & modem were disconnected until the painting was completed. afterward, all equipment was put back exactly as it had been before the painting. each cable was labeled & marked prior to disconnecting so we are certain its all connected as before.

since the disconnection & reconnection, the 1st family is up & running just as before, but the 2nd family is only able to access the 'net VERY intermittently & when they do, the signal strength is VERY low.

what could have happened & how can we fix this? the family that isnt having problems is using a linksys router with both a wired and wireless connection with xp pro, vista & win 7 op systems. the family having issues is using a d-link wireless router with win xp home as their op system.

any ideas as to whats going on? thanks in advance for any help!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: 2 separate families & 2 separate networks in one home.....
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: 2 separate families & 2 separate networks in one home.....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Let's go simple.

Since the wifi link is low, did you see if the router wifi antenna was fully screwed in and in the same position as before? And why not a new router. Some just fail like that. Of course some ask why.
Bob

- Collapse -
simple.....

some do ask why because the low signal wireless d-link router was working with excellent strength 24 hours prior (the time it took to paint and re-connect the hardware). i wouldnt think that the router would suddenly fail - just like that - simply because it was disconnected and re-connected.

and to clarify, the working linksys router is wired to a desktop and WIRELESS to two laptops and they are all getting their signals just fine.

simple would be to just go out and buy a new 2nd router. but simple (minded) would be to just go out and do that without at least a little troubleshooting first. after all, if its simply a matter of IP configuration, i dont think buying a new router will solve the problem. To paraphrase Forrest Gump... simple is as simple does. :o)

- Collapse -
We tried simple.

Check the antenna and see.

The brutal fact is that the device was moved and how to answer those that want it to work without buying anything new?

Even I can do little but feel for those.
Bob

- Collapse -
feeling for.....

thank you for your emapthy.... i checked the antenna. thank you for the suggestion.

as for the brutal fact.... it was moved - a foot away from the wall.

am i to assume that youre the kind of person who, if your entire computer were to crash, youd simply just go out and buy a new one? or would you maybe take the time to troubleshoot the problem first.

advising someone to just go buy new, doesnt seem to come from someone who has much knowledge on technical troubleshooting. i do appreciate youre taking the time to answer, however i do not appreciate the implication you make that i just 'want it to work'.

i DO want it to work, but i also DO know that i will have to apply some IT skills in order for that to happen.

FYI.... i connected the d-link to the wired desktop with 2 wireless laptops that are working with the linkys. guess what? the d-link works with excellent signal strength. i deduce, i dont have to 'go buy new'.

thanks again for your responses, but please do not respond to my post again. i would like to hear from anyone who has some working knowledge of networking and configurations as im sure thats where my problem lies.

have a happy! :o)

- Collapse -
My knowledge is

A tad too deep. I not only know these products but am an electronics designer. From missles, cell phone transmitters to even routers. I also write firmware and apps.

Sorry to have annoyed you with trying the simplest thing it could be.

And yes, we always weigh time versus money. For example we are talking about a 25 to 99 buck device. Tech time runs about 120 a hour here so while a tech could come out the problem is a new router is more likely to cure the problem.

Sorry that you took my offer of help with disdain.
Bob

- Collapse -
We are talking about a 25 to 99 buck device?????

Well, we are also talking about a family whose spouse has been diagnosed with a degenerative disease and who can no longer work and an income of ZERO right now.

We are also talking about someone who most people that know me come to ME to troubleshoot their computer problems. I actually ENJOY fixing these things and relish the opportunity to find out why something isnt working and then bringing it back to life.

Ive been able to diagnose and repair most of my IT issues on my own and when I cant, I search and search and read and learn. And when I cant find the answer I ask for assistance or at least be pointed in the right direction to troubleshoot it on my own.

When you say, 'A tad too deep' for whom is that directed? At you or at me? if its directed at me is it because you think after reading my OP that im not able to understand anything deeper than checking an antenna or doling out hard to come by cash to replace it? If so, why would you think that about someone based on a post that asked for guidance in how to repair a product.

I tested the router works. It works. Theres an issue with the configuration somewhere.

I appreciate your offering the simplest solution, but when I responded the first time I thought I explained that I dont want to buy a new one, as the one I have does indeed work, its just not configured correctly. If theres an issue with the configuration between the devices, how on earth is a new one going to be any better. A new router will not change the configuration settings and therefore will not solve my problem.

Your next solution is again... Go buy a new one. If I wanted to buy a new one or hire a tech to come out and fix my problem, I wouldnt be posting on a forum specifically for networking issues.

If Ive come across as annoyed or having disdain for your simple solution its simply because each time ive tried to explain that I WANT to troubleshoot my issue regardless of time versus money, yet you keep responding with the 'simple' solution and knowing the router is not the issue, I find the simple solution to be of no value. All your solution would do for me is require a trip to the store to buy a new one, bring it home to find that alas the issue is not resolved and then yet another trip to the store for a refund - not to mention the gas and TIME it would take me to make two round trip excursions to the store.

Thanks again... I'll go back to goggling now.

- Collapse -
My apologies.

These are free forums with no paid help. You may want to temper your posts so you won't scare off others that may want to help.

I am more than willing to discuss ideas but once in awhile a member demands support and flames others for trying. I have other ideas but the story points to a few simple things to try but given the flames all I think I should do is to let you be.
Bob

- Collapse -
1 cable modem & 2 routers

How are they connected? Usually, cable modems (DOCSIS 2.0?) are bridges and can only provide one IP, so how is the second router getting it's IP in the days before painting?

- Collapse -
IP

Just reading this old thread and was also curious as to how the crossover (2 routers 1 hook up and separate IP'S) was set up, will have to research more but I tend to agree with your questioning the set up.

- Collapse -
Footnote, possible

Just a footnote, the hook up would be possible if the server offers 2 dynamic ip address capability (some cable companies do) then you would likely have to tap both routers off of a switch for separate ip's.

- Collapse -
Doubt it

for the reason 2 IPs would've cost more annually than what OP would pay, for someone who won't buy a new <$100 router.

I bet you OP mis-marked or mis-reconnected the cables. Most likely in original config the routers were serialized and one was a subnet with different SSID. Not truely separated firewalled networks, but to the incognizant it seems so. Oh well...

- Collapse -
cennecting to network.....

there is one internet connection - one modem.

the modem connected to upstairs family router:

the upstairs family router settings were:
name: upstairs family
security type: wep
radio type: 802.11g
ssid: upstairsfamily

the upstairs family router then connected to downstairs family router:

the downstairs family router settings were:
name: downstairs family
security type: wpa2-psk
radio type: 802.11n
ssid: downstairsfamily

the 2 separate households in one home were setup to automatically connect to their individual/personal network, with their individual/personal passwords.

once connected to their individual and separate networks, downstairs could only access and see any computers/peripherals connected to that specific network. the same goes for the upstairs family.

in the network and sharing center we could 'see' various available networks including upstairs, downstairs and even a few neighbors in the area that have their own networks, but each network is secured and without each others passwords we cannot log into anyone elses network connection. cuz we're not hackers. :o)

so there ya go, than was the setup and indeedy-daddy-doodie, there were indeed two separate network in one home with only one internet connection and we didnt pay anything for an extra ip.

both routers are located upstairs and always have been. since my OP, i have reset the downstairs router, re-configured it, but downstairs still cannot access their network. to test the router, i (upstairs) disconnected from my router had the downstairs family give me their network password/key and logged into their network completely trouble-free. i even took my laptop downstairs to see if the signal would drop and it didnt. same excellent signal strength as when i standing right beside the router.

prior to the reset and re-configuration downstairs had access, but with very low signal strength and only intermittent at that. since the reset and reconfig downstairs can no longer access their network at_all with their computer just giving them the never-ending "acquiring network address" message.

if their router is shot than how am i able to log into their network and have excellent signal wherever i take my laptop to? if the router is shot, wouldnt it then not work for anyone????

- Collapse -
Excellent clues that both routers are NOT shot!

The wireless NIC (what is it? PCI card? Mini-PCI? USB stick? USB dongle? USB2 device in a USB1 port?) in PC downstairs (I presume is a desktop since they could've otherwise taken a laptop upstairs to test) is either not running with absolutely correct drivers or firmware. Or the PC is placed in a WiFi dead/weak spot. Take the PC upstairs, connect a Cat cable between PC and one of their router LAN ports to see if it works (or if you have a long cable, just run it from downstairs PC to 'downstairs' router). Focus your troubleshooting there.

Nonetheless, what seems secure to you (upstairs) is accessible by downstairs but not vice versa. They can't connect wirelessly to your SSID but they can browse your network thru their router to your router and anything connected to your router. Your laptop is probably firewalled by Windows or 3rd party sw so they can't access it but if you openly 'share' networked drives, printers, etc. etc. they can access it. That's the nature of nets and subnets. Look it up.

And switch your router security to WPA/WPA2, kill the WEP.

Someday when you're ready to isolate your net from downstairs and ready to spend a few more bucks, come back and we'll tell you how.

- Collapse -
Concur

Yes, but some DO offer dual dynamic so the application would be doable, however likely there would be a cost difference.

CNET Forums