PC Hardware forum

General discussion

2 SATA ports not reading device

i have a new Dell 531 that i didn't even realize was SATA until i just added a second HD - i'm not familiar with this type of MB (not sure what kind i have, actually) but i have a problem, i think. the original HD is a Western D and the new one is a 500G Seagate; the generic DVD=/-RW is also connected SATA, and i'm only able to get my MB to see 2 devices, in ports SATA0 and SATA1 (it sees my two HDs as Masters 3 and 4 ??? if they're in 0 and 1 and if i replace one HD with the DVD ROM then it sees the HD and the DVD...).

There's no info in the Seagate docs on how to place the jumpers, but i don't think that's the problem since it's the ports 2 and 3 that are not being seen.

there's no reason to think that the MB has gone bad...

can anyone please help?

Thanks,
Glenn

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 2 SATA ports not reading device
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 2 SATA ports not reading device
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This sounds like the SATA IDE Emulation issue.

In reply to: 2 SATA ports not reading device

No jumpers on SATA save that one the cuts the speed so don't waste your time on that.

But are you aware that in today's machines they emulate IDE when you connect with SATA to make it easy on today's techs and builders? That is you may have to catch up with what your motherboard is doing.

Many BIOS's have this feature and some limit to 2 devices in the emulation. Some do 4 but it all comes back to the BIOS, motherboard and OS drivers.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks

In reply to: This sounds like the SATA IDE Emulation issue.

thanks much - my MB is an ASUS M2N61 - what do you mean "catch up" with my mb? what would i look for in the BIOS? i've looked through it once and didn't see anything obvious.

there are only 4 SATA xtions, no other means of connecting devices - surely i'm not limited to 2??? (they're colored Blue, Black, White and Black from 0 to 3, incidentally... for some reason...)

thanks

Collapse -
By catch up...

In reply to: thanks

I mean that the knowledge we had for IDE is almost worthless here. Time to catch up to what SATA is.

-> Look in you motherboard's manual about enabling those other ports and if you have elected to run without the SATA drivers for your OS you'll have to see if all the SATA can be IDE emulated.

I don't duplicate manuals or web content but note the issue or topic so you can dig in the right spot.
Bob

Collapse -
gotcha, thanks

In reply to: By catch up...

gotcha, thanks

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.