Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

2 problems with internet browsing

by annabel_w / June 27, 2005 12:30 AM PDT

Hi,

I am running Windows XP Pro with IE6. I have just had my computer back from the store after having a 'spring-cleaning' reformat. But now two problems I have are:

The first problem:

Almost 100% of the time whilst surfing, any advertisements, andale counters (Ebay), etc, etc, show the message "The Page cannot be displayed" or a red cross icon is shown. A good example is the main page for this 'Browser' forum - the top central advert cannot be displayed or any at the right hand side. I have tried the 'Windows Update' and the advice given by the '...cannot be displayed' error message but still no good. How can I solve this?

The second problem:

Whenever I look at a streaming video file with WMP (I have WMP10), the first time round the video 'stutters' really, really badly. Once I've waited for it to run through and then play the second time around, it's ok - but this can be really annoying having to wait!!

I have tried what Microsoft said about reducing the video acceleration in the performance section but still no good. And my video card (NVIDIA) settings/drivers should be ok as it has just come from the dealer - but then again...! What can be done?

I want to try and solve the matter at home rather than take it back in again.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for your time, Annabel.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 2 problems with internet browsing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 2 problems with internet browsing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
more info on the problem...
by annabel_w / June 27, 2005 1:08 AM PDT

I have just downloaded the new Netscape Navigator 8 to see what happened while browsing.

I am still unable to see any advertisements, etc., but with NN8, I get the following message:

"Alert: That domain name could not be found. Please check the name and try again."

Does this mean it's more a computer / connection settings problem rather than a browser issue?

Thanks, Annabel.

Collapse -
Re: browsing problems after reformat
by Kees Bakker / June 27, 2005 5:05 AM PDT

Annabel,

That's good research you did. You're quite right about the advertisements. It's a much discussed problem here. Apparently, they decided to protect you against advertisements and other things you'd better not see (like spyware and some links related to adult sites) by installing a HOSTS file for you that blocks those sites (like the ones used by cnet). It's a good practise, but it shouldn't come as a surprise.

Find your HOSTS file and make a comment line (starting with #) of view.atdmt.com and adlog.com.com, and you'll see the advertisements again. Or leave it as it is, if you prefer it once you know the cause.
More on the HOSTS file in http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6121-0.html?forumID=45&threadID=95572&messageID=1085735&tag= and
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6121-0.html?forumID=45&threadID=107033&messageID=1223219&tag= to name but two posts of a whole bunch written by moderator Grif Thomas.

So that's something you can solve yourself.

The stuttering of the streaming video is stranger, especially the fact that it goes better the second time. Streaming video is played right as it comes from the net, and not stored on your computer, so it only depends on the connection speed how it sounds. I don't have WMP 10 here, but I know there's a setting somewhere in older versions where you can set the connection speed to what you really have instead of let WMP find it out. If it's set too high or WMP decides to use a too high speed, video will stutter because the signal just doesn't come in fast enough. It might help to set the speed of the connection to something fixed that works satisfactory.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
The video accelleration, by the way, ...
by Kees Bakker / June 27, 2005 5:12 AM PDT

should be turned to maximum to make the best use of it. The only reason to lower it is if for some reason a program aborts or hangs the system by using it wrongly.
With a lower hardware accelleration the CPU must do more work, and so has less time for other things, which could cause stuttering more than remedy it.

Kees

Collapse -
Great stuff!!
by annabel_w / June 27, 2005 7:03 AM PDT

Hi Kees,

Great stuff - thank you so much for your help - both problems are now solved, and everything appears to be back to normal.

If I come across any other hiccups, I hope you don't mind if I pick your brain once again. Happy

Have a great week,

Annabel Happy

Collapse -
You're welcome.
by Kees Bakker / June 27, 2005 8:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Great stuff!!

And you should certainly contact the store (send them a mail?) about their installing a hosts file without telling you. It doesn't come from Microsoft, it doesn't come with Windows, it's not standard. It's good they care for your safety, let me stress that, but they should have warned you about what they did.

If you point that out to them (politely, of course) you'll indirectly help their other customers who surely would face the same problem.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.