General discussion

2 Problems with Excel 2007

My laptop has WindowsXPsp3 and my desktop has Windows Vistasp2. The first problem (on my laptop only) is minor; every time I open Excel windows wants to run the installer. I have to click on cancel 3 times and if I choose to run the setup program, I get an error saying the file PRO11.msi is missing. How do I fix it? My 2nd problem is more severe and happens on both my laptop and my desktop, but not all the time and not always with the same workbook. I get an error saying the file is unreadable asking me if I trust the source with a yes or a no (I usually click yes because I created the file in the first place) then it wants me to search for a converter file again with a yes or a no and I click no. It then shows the file name with[Repaired] next to it. My problem is I tend to lose a lot of data from within the cells. I have 3 of workbooks, 1 with formulas coonecting to another workbook (i.e. Book1, Sheet1, Cell A1 might read "=('[Book2]Sheet1!'$A$1*5)+32)", then I have a workbook with connected sheets (i.e. Book1, Sheet1, Cell A1 might read "='Sheet2'+7/3", and finally I have workbooks that have no links what so ever. I also have files that link workbooks and sheets within the same workbook. Today it happened with a workbook that had both connected sheets and a link to another workbook. The code reads as follows: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
- <recoveryLog xmlns="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/spreadsheetml/2006/main">
<logFileName>error050840_02.xml</logFileName>
<summary>Errors were detected in file 'L:\Budget Files\Accounts.xlsx'</summary>
- <additionalInfo>
<info>Excel completed file level validation and repair. Some parts of this workbook may have been repaired or discarded.</info>
</additionalInfo>
- <removedParts summary="Following is a list of removed parts:">
<removedPart>Removed Part: /xl/externalLinks/externalLink3.xml part with XML error. (Cached values from external formula reference) Unexpected end of input. Line 2, column 12.</removedPart>
</removedParts>
- <removedFeatures summary="Following is a list of removed features:">
<removedFeature>Removed Feature: External formula reference from /xl/workbook.xml part (Workbook)</removedFeature>
</removedFeatures>
- <removedRecords summary="Following is a list of removed records:">
<removedRecord>Removed Records: Formula from /xl/worksheets/sheet3.xml part</removedRecord>
<removedRecord>Removed Records: Formula from /xl/worksheets/sheet8.xml part</removedRecord>
<removedRecord>Removed Records: Formula from /xl/worksheets/sheet9.xml part</removedRecord>
<removedRecord>Removed Records: Formula from /xl/worksheets/sheet10.xml part</removedRecord>
<removedRecord>Removed Records: Formula from /xl/calcChain.xml part (Calculation properties)</removedRecord>
</removedRecords>
</recoveryLog>
I save my files to a flash drive and the path to the linked workbooks also reference the flash drive letter and folder (if applicable). However, the formulas path gets changed and always point to the C drive even without the error. Now I have been lucky so far and have been able to retrieve my data, but I had to backup the files to both the hard drive of my laptop and my desktop and also I have had to save the same files in Excel97-2003 format. What is wrong? This has happened with both linked and unliked files.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: 2 Problems with Excel 2007
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: 2 Problems with Excel 2007
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Just a thought.

I ran into that and it was a pending install. I removed the pending install with a tool from Microsoft (use google to find this) called the Microsoft Installer Cleanup Tool.

My second thought is to uninstall Office and install it again and be sure that no feature is set to install on demand.
Bob

- Collapse -
Thanks

I might try that. I don't want to buy any new software at this time though, so if the cleanup toll has a cost I might try the reinstall.

- Collapse -
I found the tool.

It did find errors and allthough the tool is free the repair is not. I have to register the software to run the fix, surely there is something else I can do without making another investment. I am going to hold off on the reinstall for now until I get some more feedback.

- Collapse -
The Microsoft Installer Cleanup Tool is free and so is its

The tool is free and so is its use. You'll have to reveal what you used other than the FREE Microsoft tool.

Bob

- Collapse -
Same problem this time with a workbook with no links

The exact error I get is: Excel found unreadable content in <filename.xlsx> Do you want to recover the contents of the workbook? If you trust the source of this workbook then click yes. I have a yes or no to click. If I click yes I get This file cannot be opened by Microsoft Excel. Do you want to search the Misrosoft online website for a converter that can open the file. This time my options are yes, no, and cancel. I usually get this window twice. The problem with saving in Excel97-2003 format is I get the loss of fidelity warning. My data is ok and my formulas seem to work the same. I think this was how I got around it before by working in the older format. I might try the tool suggested so far or the reinstall.

- Collapse -
Different versions of Excel?

What versions of Excel are you using on these XP and Vista systems?

For example, if you are using a pre-2007 version of Excel (Microsoft Office Suite), on the XP system, and Excel 2007, (Office 2007), on the Vista system, then mixing and matching may be a cause.

Excel 2007 is quite different from Excel 97-XP-2003, and those earlier versions cannot always read Excel files saved in the 2007 version. That .xlsx file extension appears to be a 2007 format, and earlier versions may attempt to 'correct' what they don't understand.

Mark

- Collapse -
Same version of Excel, different OS

I use Excel 2007 Office home and student and I understand what you are saying because when I try to save in the 97-03 format I have a loss of fidelity issue. However this appears to be my only workaround otherwise I lose data. They are still opening in 2007 format and so far I have been able to copy the missing portions from either the backup on the hard drive (as I said earlier I store them on a USB flash drive) or by opening the 97-03 format. I do not want to save a file to my flash drive, hard drive, and hard drive in 97-03 format every time I go to exit an Excel file as that can be a pain, but I also do not want to lose my data. I have a spreadsheet as a checkbook register and several for my budget and I could lose a week, month, or maybe more of data I can not recreate. I have a "paper trail" but the information I have is only good for the current month and if I have to go back any further than that I can't. Also I can not recreate cash transactions as I have no paper trail for those. I need a fix that I can do without investing more money.

- Collapse -
It seems to me

It seems to me that using two different versions of Excel to edit the same workbooks is most likely the cause of your problems.

You won't like this but I would guess the proper solution is to only use the same version of Excel. I don't see any other solution.

If you cannot use the same version of Excel on each computer, then an option is OpenOffice. It should work on both systems and is a free alternative Office Suite to Microsoft's.

That probably means re-writing the worksheets in OpenOffice although it is able to read and edit Microsoft Excel files, but some formatting may be lost.

Sorry.

Mark

- Collapse -
I am creating the spreadsheets in Excel 2007

I have Office 2007 on both my desktop and laptop. I only have 3 maybe 4 workbooks that I created prior to upgrading to Office 2007. There are several workbooks I have created with the new version and did not save backwards until I got the error and lost the data. I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, so if I am redundant I appologize. When I bought my latest PC it came with Office Home and Student 2007. I had the workbooks I created in Excel97 and clicked on convert with Excel 2007, made some more, started getting the error and losing my data. Was able to recreate or partially recreate the data, but saved the files in 97-03 format. Created more new sheets using Excel 2007, noticed no error, so I converted the 97 files again. Worked fine for months, now the same error is back. The only formatiing I do is either date or currency for the most part. I only have a few linked.

- Collapse -
You problem is easy...

The first problem is that your installation did not complete. You should let it. If it doesn't complete then you're not logged onto the computer as an administrator.

The second is that they excel workbook you're trying to open probably has macros which need permission to run on your computer because macros are potentially dangerous. Macros are like automatic programing in miniature attached to documents (like word, excel, power point or access) that automate certain things. You have to enable or tell Microsoft office that the source is safe. You can do this on the "Office Button", then click "Excel Options", then click "Trust Center". This is where you can tell it to give you a message bar and then tell it to trust the location.

- Collapse -
I did install Office 2007 on my laptop

The problem with the MSI error didn't come until just recently and I had been working for months and didn't do anything special. I will try you second solution for my more difficult problem.

- Collapse -
Then why when I clicked on register, does it mention a fee?

I tried to run the repair and it wanted me to register the software and pay the fee.

- Collapse -
I wonder.

Those demo versions do that. It's really simple to figure out if you own your copy of Office by looking at the hole in your wallet.
Bob

- Collapse -
At least 1 problem solved

I ran Office 2007 setup on my laptop and chose the repair option and once that finished I was able to open Excel 2007 without windows installer running and looking for that msi file. As for the unreadable content problem, I changed my options in the trust center and so far I am ok. Only time will tell if it happens again. Thanks to all of you for you input.

- Collapse -
My problem has come back to haunt me, HELP!

I got the same issue with Excel not being able to read the contents of the file and since I thought I had the problem solved by changing my trust options, I have not been backing up all my excel files, just the one I use most often for my finance which I usually backup once a week. This time both files were in unlinked workbooks. Both files were created by me. One I think was saved in 97-03 format from when I had the problem before, the other one was never saved in 97-03 format. I have an error with another software where they had me go into my registy and fix some things. I followed their advice and lost my DSL and anti-virus. I had to use a restore point prior to the changes. I did the registy work on 11/23/10 and finally restored successfully to 11/17/10. Both of the files I have had the issue with have been open without the error. I haven't done anything different since I did the restore and now the error is back. I don't know if that was important, just thought you might want to know. I haven't had the issue on my laptop with the unreadable content, in fact to my best memory I have only had the problem once or twice. Both my laptop and desktop have Office 2007. Both have McAfee anti-virus. My desktop is windows Vista home (current on service packs and updates), my laptop is WindowsXPsp3 and is not connected to the internet and is not current on updates. I never changed the trust options on my laptop, but I did reinstall Office 2007 to resolve that setup issue I had. The files that Excel says are unreadable are on a flash (USB) drive. I don't know what other information I can give you, I do know is I need help to fix it from people that know more than I do.

CNET Forums

Forum Info