HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

2 problems..Bios password & losing cable dsl

by guess / June 5, 2004 7:43 AM PDT

okay the bent screen msdos thing was way over my head ...Ill live with it...now ,what really bugs me is when I step away from my computer for an hour or so and try to go online...itll time out and wont connect until I reboot..win 98se & Comcast cable dsl....is it a glitch er what...and my other lil problem is trying to find the password to get into the bios...it's probly stashed somewhere in the reg. but dont say that I need a road map...perhaps a way to disable it ....huh

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 2 problems..Bios password & losing cable dsl
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 2 problems..Bios password & losing cable dsl
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:2 problems..Bios password & losing cable dsl
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2004 8:10 AM PDT

1. BIOS Password.

Highly dependant on the make and model how to reset, for now, you haven't expressed why you need to get in there. I set it to keep the kids out too.

2. This OS is 6 years old.

What has not happened are any improvements that would change Windows 98 to demand less from its owner. Or be anymore reliable than it was in 1998. But, today I read many that expect it to perform without issue.

You can guess where the truth is....

a. The 64,000 bytes per resource issue. You can read all about this at http://www.aumha.org/articles.htm in the Memory articles.

b. In the same site, the Optimizing Windows can help extend the time between reboots.

c. NO PARASITES PLEASE! I don't allow them. What are they? Read http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/

d. Yes, I agree. It should be easier, but you are not using an easy OS. And there are no patches that fixed it.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:2 problems..Bios password & losing cable dsl
by guess / June 5, 2004 10:35 AM PDT

The only thing I can say about the unit re: Bios...is it's a Pentium 233mhz...the reason I want to axcess the Bios is that it's set to 1st boot from the cdrom...instead of the hd...is that normal..or is there another way to re arrange the bootup device...

Collapse -
That's an ok setting.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2004 10:58 AM PDT

It should just find no bootable CD and continue.

Again, without make or model, the usual is a move of a jumper, but consider this. Some of this older machines required very specific settings for them to run well. Reseting the BIOS to change this boot option can cause the owner to learn much about this old workpiece.

My advice?

"Don't fix what's not broken."

Bob

Collapse -
Re: 2 problems..Bios password & losing cable dsl
by ramusson / June 24, 2004 8:29 PM PDT

OK, as far as the BIOS password setting is concerned, your OS has nothing to do with it.

If you have the motherboard manual, it will very clearly tell how to reset the BIOS.
If you can peer into the Motherboard and can read the tiny writings, a search will show where the Reset Jumper is.
What make is your motherboard? It may be possible to locate the manual on the Internet.

Ramusson

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.