Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

2 pcs + 2 dsl connections = 1 wireless

by MixOughT / September 16, 2006 11:19 PM PDT

Hey all,

I have my desktop which is connected to one of my DSL connections (I have two) through ethernet. My bro's giving me his laptop as he doesn't need it now. I plan to have the other connection for my laptop when I am working.

Now, I wish to have my desktop and the laptop connected wirelessly. Also have the desktop use one DSL connection and my laptop use the other

I haven't bought a router yet because I am not sure which one to buy. Now the problem I see is both the DSL connections will be on the network some how. The DSL routers have the facility to connect through USB as well but I don't want to connect any wires to my laptop Happy

So here's what we have:
1. A desktop and a laptop
2. Two DSL connections (routers having facility to connect through ethernet as well as USB)
3. A wireless router (on your recommendation)

What I want at the same time: My laptop to share files with desktop wireless. My desktop and my laptop each use a different DSL connection to access the internet.

Kindly guide me, I am new to the wireless field Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 2 pcs + 2 dsl connections = 1 wireless
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 2 pcs + 2 dsl connections = 1 wireless
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
i hope this helps you
by faizuuu / September 17, 2006 12:16 AM PDT

Very simple solution

Their can be many ways but I think use simple one it?s easy to trouble shot

Well you want share file through wireless so it logical you will have two wirelesses network card. (Laptop have wireless card in built mostly) for your desktop u need to get one if u don?t have.

You need a router when you when want send traffic between two different network.
For example: - from to network.

But in you case you can give both wireless IP address from same pool. And ( is for you wireless device) subnet

So there is no need for the routing as there are in same ip address pool. All you need is wireless access point (like switch) not a router. Disadvantage 1) slow 2) unsecured. Advantages 1) mobility.

You can use WEP encryption but any one can break it very easy with in 20 minutes.

If want you can just use a cross over cable and also connect both of then to you Ethernet card in case if you have kept option open for wired solution too.advantage secure and faster you go up to 1000mbps. Disadvantages limited mobility

So make sure what ur priority flexibility or security.

Collapse -
by MixOughT / September 17, 2006 3:57 AM PDT
In reply to: i hope this helps you

ok, this is what I thought could be possible:

1. Connect the first DSL router to my desktop through USB.

2. Connect ethernet of desktop and ethernet of the second DSL router to the wireless router.

3. Connect the laptop to the wireless router.

Collapse -
2 pcs + 2 dsl connections = 1 wireless (REPLY)
by Chaz02 / September 17, 2006 12:23 AM PDT

Linksys has a router that can take two internet connections. You can program it! As for shareing files between the two... there is NO problem. Keep is simple. Create a workgroup and have both systems in the same workgroup, share files and folders and you are on your way. That is the simple way to use DSL and wireless together. Now to use two DSL lines, I would suggest the duel Internet input router from Linksys

Collapse -
read above
by MixOughT / September 17, 2006 4:17 AM PDT

I am not sure whether you will be notified of my reply to the other post.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?