Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

2 or 16 colour Display

I reformatted my computer and reinstalled Windows 98SE.
The display settings only allow either 2 or 16 colours.
I thought that downloading a driver (nvidia geforce 256) would solve the problem but this error message appeared.

Setup was unable to locate any nvidia graphics chips on this system.

I ran dxdiag and under the display tag there is nothing opposite Chip type or DAC type.

I would be most grateful for any help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 2 or 16 colour Display
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 2 or 16 colour Display
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
use steps, elevator is broke...

In reply to: 2 or 16 colour Display

1. why did you think it was Nvidia, unless you have that pci card.
2.If so, you got the wrong chip number for drivers. Or-
3. W98SE does not have native drivers for some Intel co-processors. You need to check the mobo chipset. It does have generic ones that will partially work but not enough to run AGP maybe.
Navigate www.intel.com for chipset info and a utility that will identify what you have.
4. If you have VIA chipsets, search for VIA-4-in-one driver package.
5. If the video is on the mobo, go to mfg website for PC info and support, including drivers.

Collapse -
2 or 16 colours available

In reply to: use steps, elevator is broke...

I downloaded Everest Home edition and it confirmed under Display that
Video Adapter nVidia GeForce 256
3D Accelerator nVidia Geforce 256

I started my computer in Safe Mode and deleted the video card from Device Manager.
When I rebooted and tried to install a nVidia driver from their website I still received this error message.
Setup was unable to locate any nVidia graphics chips on this system. The installation will be terminated.
I will try the www.intel.com site but it is definately a nVidia graphics card in my computer.

Collapse -
The other reason this happens is...

In reply to: 2 or 16 colours available

You didn't install some motherboard driver package. Microsoft doesn't do this for us and on some systems the video card can't be detected until the board package is installed.

Bob

Collapse -
the other reason this happens is

In reply to: The other reason this happens is...

I used Everest Home Edition and discovered that the motherboard chipset is Intel 82440BX.
I downloaded the appropriate chipset driver from Intel's site and installed it.
Then I tried to download the Nvidia driver but unfortunately, the same error message appears.

Setup was unable to locate any nVidia graphics chips on this system. The installation will be terminated.

Collapse -
Unfortunately....

In reply to: the other reason this happens is

The last issue, Dr. Watson, is that the Gforce card is kaput and the chips won't recog. Not unknown with Nvidia cards. A good used 2mb vid pci card should be cheap, locally or on Ebay, unless you're trying for 4mb or more for graphics, or unless you're trying to use an AGP slot. W98se has drivers for many 2mb cards.
S3 is common.

Collapse -
Give Belarc a shot. . .

In reply to: 2 or 16 colour Display

Google it, download and install it. It should give you the video chipset.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.