Computer Help forum

General discussion

2 Monitors, One Desktop, One PC, One Keyboard, One Mouse

by tifgirl / November 4, 2009 8:11 AM PST

Can this work? I have two monitors, a keyboard, speakers and a mouse connected to my desktop. I'd like to find a KVM switch or something similar that will allow me to attach my laptop to the two monitors, keyboard and mouse that I am using on my desktop. Any ideas? I can only find a KVM switch that supports a single monitor.

Thx!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 2 Monitors, One Desktop, One PC, One Keyboard, One Mouse
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 2 Monitors, One Desktop, One PC, One Keyboard, One Mouse
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Dual reverse KVM.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 4, 2009 8:35 AM PST
Collapse -
a kvm will get you half-way there
by ramarc / November 4, 2009 9:42 AM PST

your laptop could share the keyboard/mouse and one monitor with any kvm that supports usb keyboard/mouse. speakers and the other monitor would cost a good bit more.

Collapse -
2 Monitors, One Desktop, One Keyboard, One Mouse
by tifgirl / November 5, 2009 2:13 AM PST

Thanks, but any ideas on how to get the laptop onto the two computers. Idealy I'd like to get it off the desk and work seamlessly between my laptop and desktop on the two monitors.

Collapse -
Several manufacturers, including Avocent, Raritan, Rose, and
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2009 3:01 AM PST

"Several manufacturers, including Avocent, Raritan, Rose, and Startech, offer remote KVM capabilities over TCP/IP, "

Seems you have solutions out there. One I didn't offer is Remote Desktop since I can't guess if you would call that seamless.
Bob

Collapse -
It works for me
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 5, 2009 5:30 AM PST

I have two desktop PCs, one keyboard, one mouse, and two monitors.

Vista PC - sees both monitors and uses the keyboard and mouse.

XP PC only sees one monitor, but uses the same keyboard and mouse. Pressing CTRL + CTRL + 1, (or 2), switches the display of the shared monitor and the keyboard/mouse between the two PCs.

I don't know about a laptop, but the trick for me was to use the KVM switch on the shared monitor connection, so the Vista PC can use both the monitors but the XP PC can only use the shared one.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?