Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

2 Internet Connection icons show in taskbar

Dell Desktop, xp, sp2, cable modem, wireless home network.

ICN = Normal internet connetion icon and status
ICH = Possible hijack internet connection

Icn shows constant internete activity, both receiving and sending of data at the same time.
ICH shows limited sending data activity.

ICN propeties window opens and provides usual info.
ICH properties window will not open.

When I disable ICN, all activity appears to stop.
Cannot disable ICH.

In the Network Connections Folder when ICN is enabled, icons for both connections appear.

In the Network Connections Folder when ICN is disabled, only icon for ICN is present.

Important, Unable to connect to the internet!!!

I will be glad to provide additional info as necessary. Thanks in advance for any help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 2 Internet Connection icons show in taskbar
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 2 Internet Connection icons show in taskbar
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Quick Thought: Have You Recently Installed.....

In reply to: 2 Internet Connection icons show in taskbar

any new hardware needing internet connection? As first suggestion, new digital camera w/software (option for web cam or online hosting of pics). In same vein, some photo CD places are installing software(unmentioned) buried in you picture CD.

2nd: P2P software Limewire etc?

Info on system & AV & Firewall/router, AV used/other scanners(Spy/Trojan). Check in CP>Network Connections: Is this connection shown & IS IT FIRE WALLED??

Post back with info so we may be of more help. Happy

Collapse -
Responses shown below question. Thanks

In reply to: Quick Thought: Have You Recently Installed.....

Quick Thought: Have You Recently Installed..... - New!
by tobeach - 1/17/07 10:31 PM
In reply to: 2 Internet Connection icons show in taskbar by bama45
any new hardware needing internet connection? As first suggestion, new digital camera w/software (option for web cam or online hosting of pics). In same vein, some photo CD places are installing software(unmentioned) buried in you picture CD.

-------------No new hardware installed----------

2nd: P2P software Limewire etc?

-------Kids computer, so AOLIM, IPOD (loaded since June '06), Myspace--------------------

Info on system & AV & Firewall/router, AV used/other scanners(Spy/Trojan). Check in CP>Network Connections: Is this connection shown & IS IT FIRE WALLED??

---------McAffee Security Center through Comcast, D-Link wireless router, Ad-Aware. The ICN connection is firewalled, ICH will not let me view properties-----

Post back with info so we may be of more help.

Collapse -
We Need Others to Jump in Here.....

In reply to: Responses shown below question. Thanks

as those were my prime guesses. Beyond that, from what you've mentioned, my suspicions would turn towards AOL IM &/or My Space (have been getting hit alot recently) as entrance points but if Wireless D-Link does not have strong encryption protection in use, it could also be a possible route (somebody nearby using your internet connection).
I had a report of this happening to moderator's son's machine (Mac OS-X) on another board I post on. Discovered he had an unknown E-Bay account and was selling a John Deer tractor through it with payment addie being re-directed elsewhere. He now has encryption!!!
Sorry I can't offer more at present......hopefully others can. Happy

Collapse -
I could be wrong here but I do not think

In reply to: 2 Internet Connection icons show in taskbar

you have a malware problem. I would try posting in one of the other forums, perhaps "Networking and Wireless". This URL is for the main forum page where you can see the choices.
http://forums.cnet.com/?tag=dir.forum

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.